Separation anxiety - a mental problem in amateur radio

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by SM51252, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. SM51252

SM51252 QRZ Member

As most of you know, small children from the age of 8 months and up develop separation anxiety. They get in panic when separated from their mother. This condition is normal at their age, but when remaining until the person is grown-up it is abnormal.
    I notice many radio amateurs suffer from separation anxiety. This is shown in pile ups when they call exactly on the DX station frequency or so close that they block reception of the DX. They keep doing it - they can't separate from "Mum" - the DX!!!
    Others get jealous with their brothers who cling to Mum - they start bullying them, calling them "idiots" and other bad names. They behave just as stupidly.
    Now, with psychological knowledge we know those who behave this way should see a doctor. Perhaps we must tell them to do so?
    Ullmar, SM5-1252

2. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very, very true Ullmar. Pile-ups definitely highlight mental health problems in lots of hams!

3. N2ADV

N2ADV Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a good way to look at it LOL

4. SM51252

SM51252 QRZ Member

Tnx for comments Jim and Pete. I have now got support from IARU Region I representative SM6CNN who also finds the situation hard to endure, and he is willing to take up the matter in our highest forum. So far so good.
    Ullmar, SM5-1252

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

We have a vast portion of our population with separation anxiety from the Federal government.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.