ad: w5yi

Sending QSL cards to a elementary school?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by PY2RAF, Dec 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

A post card, SURE!

But a REAL QSL card (IMHO) indicates a REAL tw0 way contact. A SWL card, IF designated as such, may be acceptable.
    Our club has many "visited" the station, but not operated there. Such a card may be what you request.
    (I applause the ol' timers) I got interested in the first place.and am thankful for their efforts. It seems there is still an active SWL in existence, which is GOOD:cool:. That is where most of us "old timers" got a start, listening to BBC, Deuschelle Welle,: and others.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Technically, a card doesn't become a QSL card until the QSO information is added. Otherwise, it is just a post card.

If the amateur radio operator is worried that someone "might" take the card and then fill in the information to claim a QSO, then writing something like "sample" over the QSO information would prevent such usage.

When my elder grandson was in elementary school, his class had a project to acquire as many post cards as possible from as many locations as possible. I sent him several of my various QSL card designs. Those cards were among the more unusual cards that the class received.

Glen, K9STH

3. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I retired about 4 years ago for medical reasons. I was able to get a lot of that straightened out and was trying to think of something to do part time. My wife has taught for nearly 20 years. She suggested I sub teach. I had never thought about doing this but thought I would give it a try. Now that I’ve been at it a while it has been a mostly positive experience. Like you Burt I now have several people who call me to sub for them. My niche has become Junior High.

W0IS and N3AB like this.
  4. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I do a bit of grade 6 and 7 but in most cases I am a baby sitter.
    In elementary almost 100% engaged.
    I did a high school last week:
    I was talking to an Irish high school student. I asked her how she liked her school. She said it was good ( I could see in her eyes she was lying). So I said how do you really feel.
    Then the words poured out:
    " I can't wait to go back to Ireland."
    "There is no respect for the teachers here"
    "Kids can say anything they want."
    "The school work is too easy here"
    "If I talked to my teachers (in Ireland) like that I would get smacked."
    She thanked me for listening to her.

N5PAR, WC5P and N3AB like this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I sent my REAL QSL card to the school, postcard style - no envelope - with some extra stamps and stuff stuck on it. I figure that makes it more interesting. I use those 8c Puerto Rico commemoratives for special cards.

PY2RAF likes this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a QSL card from the time it comes from the printer. It doesn't become a confirmation until it's filled in. ;)

WZ7U likes this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Even then, it's not a true confirmation till the other end sends one too.

W4NNF likes this.
  8. N3AB

N3AB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That high school student hit the nail right on the head!

K1OIK likes this.
  9. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did anyone explain to the Irish student that American schools in the 21st century indoctrinate as opposed to educate?

10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

She didn't sound indoctrinated. You have to have willing subjects.

K1OIK likes this.