ad: M2Ant-1

Sending Morse with PTT?

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KT5WB, Aug 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KT5WB

KT5WB Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not currently have any options for rig control from my PC. I built the W5ZIT interface in the FLdigi manual, and have been using that successfully with PSK, RTTY, and FT8 for some time.

I feel like it should be possible use the exact same configuration to send CW from FLdigi without having to connect anything to the morse key port on the front my radio. If I set the radio to AM and then use FLdigi to trigger the PTT based on the CW characters, is this any different from keying the radio from the morse key port in the front?

In general, if a radio is set to AM, the mic is disabled, and then operator taps out their characters with the PTT, is there any difference in the output from "real" CW?

2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is likely that the "shaping", or rise/fall times of the character elements will be different from the "proper way" of keying the transmitter. The beginning and end
    of an AM carrier seldom need to be properly "shaped".

It also remains to be seen how high keying rates that are supported by such a scheme.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM