Sending CQX on CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N4UP, Apr 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Man you
    beat me to it! I had the idea of using CQX for QSOs with no numbers! No RST or SKCC or Fists. Never understood why you need a special number when you already have a unique callsign.
    I dont keep a log so my contact cant be verified anyway. To me the whole idea of amateur radio is communicating with each other.
    The RBN gives me all the numbers I need.
    NPOTA and SKCC may have kept CW going but have turned it into a "contact" sport.

2. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Evidently...I am DXCC CW (and Phone), operate cw contests regularly, and my log shows about 85% cw qso's to about 15% phone over the last year... So, your quip about my presumed lack of exposure to cw is wrong, flat out wrong, and insulting.
    (I passed my first cw test in 1971)

And the facts are, the majority of licensed US amateurs don't know morse code... I'm not even sure the majority of Extra class hams do, I didn't say there's no activity on the cw bands, there is... I LIVE there.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    W8ES and W5BIB like this.
  3. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My thoughts were based upon your comments. I did no research on your abilities, or do I care to, those thoughts are my opinion. I do not think one could hold a valid argument defending the statement you made "And the facts are, the majority of licensed US amateurs don't know morse code... I'm not even sure the majority of Extra class hams do" without being correct. Many years of debate ending with termination of the Morse Code requirement has insured you are likely accurate. My disagreement was/is with your comments regarding activity ON AIR and the utilization within forums such as this one, maybe being read by a new prospective CW OP one might consider it a waste to move forward if its dead, since you know better consider we can consider it as information for them.

I'm on CW a couple of hours a day, I'm not a contester so I have actual conversations with others. I'm not "on script". It's not unusual for me to meet a couple of new Amateurs a week who are just learning Morse Code or have been revitalized after years and years gone by.....although of course it is not required any longer. It is my opinion some of this activity if not most is fueled by current condition of the phone areas of the band, the complete lack of respect and operating procedures there. Those who may be looking toward a break from it but still being able to enjoy their radio equipment and chat.

This is my final comment of the matter. 73 Rich

4. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

i dont think you need any special differentiator to indicate you want a short QSO. If i heard it without knowing what it is, I wouldnt answer. . .

The tone/pace of the QSO is up to you. When the guy calls you back simply send what you want to send - RST, Name, current location - then when he send the same, simply say "Tnx fer QSO 73". No one is forcing you into a ragchew. . .

W5BIB, M6GYU, W9RAC and 1 other person like this.
  5. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sending and receiving Morse code while driving is illegal in all 50 states ! Both parties can face stiff fines and jail time if caught. It's just not worth taking the chance. Avoid working /M stations ! Just remember this simple rule. No code when you hit the road :)

M6GYU likes this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you be able to provide a link(s) to some of the states that have this regulation in their motor vehicle laws? Let's see, I'm driving along listening to my iPod perfectly legal but if I turn that off and switch on a mobile rig and listen to some CW I'm heading for the slammer...don't think so.

7. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course I meant for this to be a joke. But after further review, if the PoPo see's your vehicle, the one with all the big antennas on it, weaving slightly, he can and should pull you over. After questioning you and seeing your radio, CW paddle and maybe even a clipboard on the console he will then make a determination if you were distracted while driving. The distracted driving laws in some states are VERY broad. The ARRL will not pay your fine or post your bail. So on a more serious note be careful out there and stay safe on your journey.

https://traffic.findlaw.com/traffic-tickets/distracted-driving.html

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess you want to keep the joke going. A police officer would know the object he is viewing is a CW paddle? Would love to hear the answer when the judge asks the officer if he observed the driver operating the vehicle and sending CW at the same time. The presence of a clipboard and key, while it may be circumstantial, is hardly proof.

N4UP likes this.
  9. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had officers ask me what my license plate meant. The plate is rather old, so everything except the letters has peeled off. The plate just says "K7MEM".

10. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Regarding CW "mobile" ... 99.9 % of my "mobile" CW contacts are made while I am parked on the shoulders, or off the road in some manner. A few in the middle of a deserted dirt road or in the median if the county line "forces me" to do that. And every now and then I do operate while actually moving, but only in light traffic. And I then pull over to enter the data in my laptop logbook.

I have never been stopped by law enforcement while driving and operating. I have been approached many times by law enforcement when I am parked on the shoulders, mostly just to see if I am okay. I then explain that I pulled over to operate "rather than" do it while driving. They usually like that. Only one challenged me, small town in Ohio. He wanted to see my driver's license and insurance card. As I was pulling out my VA drivers license he saw my NC drivers license ( which VA failed to confiscate when I moved from NC to VA ). He nearly had a fit. Said it was illegal to have two drivers licenses. I offered to destroy one of them and he threatened me with jail time. After chatting a bit, he realized I was a veteran, and he saw that my insurance was with USAA, and he relaxed and let me go. I then destroyed my NC license.