ad: elecraft

Sending CQX on CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N4UP, Apr 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know a lot of folks don't care for quick exchange QSOs, but when I am operating CW mobile I prefer quick exchange QSOs. Previously I relied on w6rk.com spotting and the county hunting frequencies and could call CH instead of CQ, but now I am not running counties, just would like a contact in each of the counties I pass through.

So I plan to call CQX ( CQ Quick eXchange ). Target frequencies 3552.5 7052.5 10120.5 14052.5

I will be on the road for two weeks starting Friday, May 3. Will be operating from 150 counties, starting in Alabama and passing through MS-LA-TX-NM-AZ-CA to Las Vegas, then a side trip to Utah, then through NV-OR up to eastern Washington, then home by way of ID-MT-WY-CO-KS-MO-IL-KY.

My APRS will be active for tracking purposes wherever there is cell phone coverage.

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't speak for others, but I've been working CW for nearly five decades and if I heard someone calling 'CQX' I wouldn't answer because I wouldn't have any idea what that meant and whether it was some kind of contest call or maybe an abbreviation for CQ DX. Maybe I've been living under a rock and that's a well understood call for those desiring a short QSO but personally I'd just call CQ, exchange the info I was after and say 73.

KU4X, N7KO, K9CPO and 9 others like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I too would not have had any clue what CQX would mean. Not that it's a bad idea - and it could possibly become a "thing" (now that I know about it!) but prior to this thread I'd have had no idea and would most likely just move along.

Dave
    W7UUU

KU4X, N2SUB, KA2CZU and 3 others like this.
  4. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Like the others, I wouldn't reply, not knowing what the heck it was supposed to mean.
    Ditch the idea.

Frank

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Send several CQ's, and throw in "Quick QSO"

Saying what exactly what you want, may get you more replies than just sending another generic CQ string. (I make the same advice for fellows trying to get replies on 2m repeaters!).

6. N4UP

Well, okay, consider the idea ditched. I will try CQs with "Quick QSO" and see what happens.

I do think it would be nice to have something like CQX as a common practice. If I am driving down the freeway, quick exchange contacts on CW are more manageable than more conversational-chatty contacts.

7. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The ham calling CQ basically sets the terms as to whether you'll ragchew or not (well the responding ham can likewise choose to keep it short). Same thing happens with many DX and domestic QSOs, if you don't want to chat you just say thanks and 73 after you've exchanged the info you're interested in. Happens every day on the ham bands and there's no mandate to ragchew if that doesn't interest you.

K3XR likes this.
  8. N4UP

Yes, agree, that has been my experience also. I was just hoping for a way for people to know my expectation before calling me. In a contest, QSO party, special event, county hunting, etc., folks generally understand that it is a quick exchange. Likewise when you are running and spot yourself or are spotted.

Working CW while also driving is a challenge. I have done it a lot, with both quick exchange and extended conversations, but on this trip I really won't have time for extended conversations.

9. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Dah dit dididit dah might work?

KE4OH likes this.
  10. W2OZB

W2OZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, QRX I would just leave alone, not knowing what it was.... I would be searching the contest website and give up after not finding anything....

WB5YUZ likes this.