send fire up a light pole

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KB2WVO, Mar 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
  1. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

ok iam wondering as dang its a big pole to use... got to work some how..
    what you do with the lite pole in red circle. if you can hook to it for rf.

how would you do it..???

Attached Files:

• lite.jpg
      lite.jpg
      File size:
      70.1 KB
      Views:
  2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

You can hang a wire in it for a vertical, but trees are easier! Various ways to get a wire up there, throw a tennis ball over it, use a tennis ball launcher, slingshot or arrow (little more dangerous, esp. in a public parking lot) use a drone, trained monkey or pigeon, etc. I used tennis balls with a launcher attached to a fishing reel to put up wires in trees.

Many downsides to a light pole, they are typically metal and grounded, and they are electrified with noisy lamps. I'd stay away and stick to trees.

3. KB2WVO

i dont wanna send a wire up on it..
    i was thinking more along the lines of firin up the light pole itself..

like a big vertical. might get 160 or 75? is so how would you do that..
    most times the lights are turned off. building is no longer in use.
    or i can use it daytime when they are off..

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd launch a rope over it to pull up a sloping dipole and anchor the lower end (tied off with several feet of rope) to something far enough away from the base of the pole that the slope angle is around 45 degrees.

To cover "multiple bands," that sloping dipole could use traps, or be a parallel dipole (for coax feed) and possibly be useful on several bands. Always run the feedline perpendicular to the plane of the dipole antenna itself, which usually means pulling it back towards the pole and supporting it at the pole, even fairly near the base. For temporary use that could just be a Bungee cord or something. The lower end dipole support could just be the rope tied around a cinder block or something that will keep it in place during operation but easily removed when not operating.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

See post #4, above. This will usually be more effective than feeding the pole itself.

Problem with such poles is they are often anodized aluminum, and anodize is not conductive; so to make good electrical contact with the pole you may have to "scrape" (or file) away the anodizing, exposing the base aluminum to make contact to it. And that's not easy, since the feedpoint cannot be at ground level (almost assuredly shorted to the earth below), it needs to be a well-elevated point on the pole.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hang a trap dipole between the two lighting poles shown in the picture ?

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. KB2WVO

the footage between them is roughly 150 to 200ft. just eyeballing.
    i thought about a loop. but dont have enough rope for each corner.
    if unable to feed them. i guess i will have to hang from them lol
    il have to get a sling shot.

ill have to go there and just look and think.. on what i can hang up there..

8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Field Day, Portable, or Emergency Operations .... Most Overlooked Structure?

Tall Parking Garages (over 5 levels, >75 feet) ... easier (and cheaper) than a Tower !!
    Increased Height Above Average Terrain (HAAT).
    Easy to access, and permits operation as mobile from your vehicle.
    BD622926-6C2C-4002-8EAA-673EA5B7210A.jpeg

Desire to operate Long Wavelength (160m, 75m) bands?
    Drop a wire from the top level of parking garage ... not high enough?
    Then fabricate as an “L-antenna”.

9. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those look to be older cheaper Metal Halide fixtures and could cause some serious RFI.

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Aluminum light poles are around 30 feet tall.

Quite frankly, it would be easier to get an aluminum 30 foot telescopic pole and then you can put it up almost anywhere you like.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    KA4DPO and K2CAJ like this.