ad: vanity

Senate passes National Defense Authorization Act, H.R. 5515

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K1ZJH, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. K1ZJH

K1ZJH Ham Member QRZ Page

The vote was 85-10 to pass the fiscal 2019 National Defense Authorization Act, H.R. 5515

2. N0TLD

N0TLD Subscriber QRZ Page

Onward.

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

With a certain exception, that's mostly good. ;)

4. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm wondering if anyone in the know understands the process.

It sounds to me that HR 5515 was passed by the house, and then given to the Senate. The Senate marked it up, made some changes, and then passed their version of HR 5515. It sounds to me that the APRA provisions were in both the bills that the Senate and the House passed, correct?

I think the next step is for the House and Senate to work out the differences in conference and then revote and repass identical versions. Since ARPA was in both the house and senate versions, I'm thinking that bodes well for ARPA?

5. WA7PRC

"Well" is subjective.

6. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like many of us shortly may have to decide between making do with what we have or coming out of the antenna closet and taking our chances submitting proposals to our HOA boards.

KI4AX likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

Or, make use of one of many alternatives, including:
    • Mobile operation
    • Portable operation
    • Remote operation
    I've had a blast doing the first two... ragchewing, contesting, DXing. I've seen the latter demonstrated and thought it VERY cool. And, they don't involve a HOA, can be done right now, and can be VERY effective stations. A footwear manufacturer says, "Just Do It". I agree. :)

8. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you say RESIDENCES? I knew you could!

We're going to be operating from our RESIDENCES: Ragchewing, Contesting, DXing.

"Just Do It" YEP, from our RESIDENCES! We sure will, and from now on!

FANTASTIC!

73 and ALL the Best!
    DE W8LV BILL

9. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

This is how I understood the situation. The NDAA has not actually passed yet, but probably will soon after going through the conference committee.

If ARPA was destined to never pass - there would have been endless debate about how many hams it would help, and how many it might hurt. Now it looks like we will start hearing about real world situations and consequences, and we will finally know who was right, and who was wrong - and who will get to say "I told you so".

10. KB1PA

KB1PA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

not to pour a pitcher of ice on this, but.....

ARPA was not in the Senate Version. The bill, will all its multiple amendments now goes
    to a conference committee, where the 2 sides make 1 identical bill, which will be passed by both
    chambers without any debate or ability to amend further. If ARPA gets in the final version and the
    President doesn't veto it (it has stuff he does not want), and signs it, it will be enacted. I don't
    know which representatives or senators are on the conference committee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.