ad: ProAudio-1

Semi rare car

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Sep 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

This brings up a sad thought. Yesterday evening I was driving back from Charlotte, and there was a wreck on US 29-74. When I approached, my heart sank. There was a restored '69 Corvair with the rear end smashed!:( It looked as tho another car (modern) had literally climbed up the back end and "squished" the car. (Sigh) Likely a total loss. I had seen this car around before and it had been a true example of a Corvair just lovingly restored to like-new condition. Probably insurance won't fully cover the loss. Some antique car insurers do (if you have the car fully covered). My heart goes out to the owner, and I hope, of course, no one was hurt. Makes antique car lovers want to cry.

K9ASE likes this.
  2. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

And the Volvo looked like a 1948 Ford! Coincidence??

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Even worse, in my ET bracket "drag" racing daze, I once paired-up with another 1968 Plymouth Barracuda. Only, unlike my OE steel-bodied car w/ small V8 power, this one was fiberglass and powered by a drag race hemi (I got a yuuge handicap start). It turned out that the guy cut up an original 1968 Superstock Barracuda to make a fiberglass mold. To meet NHRA rules, only 50 were built. :(

Losing a special-interest car due to an accident is one thing. Intentionally cutting one up is quite another thing.

4. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We had a 59 MG. It was the battery that fell out

5. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, by the time I sold my MG I had rebuilt the battery baskets, the generator, the starter, the top end, the trans, replaced the intake and carbs, and the ignition system. Rebuilt the wire wheels and assorted gaskets and body parts, it was a full time hobby.

6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Only just seen this thread . . .

Can't believe ANY Morris Minors were ever exported to the USA !

[​IMG]

They were such a basic little car . . . kind of the British equivalent of the VW Beetle. They came out in 1948, and amazingly, only ceased production in 1971. (of course, the designer - Sir Alec Issigonis - went on to design the Mini, which was a very innovative small front wheel drive car)

However . . . there were some people that loved them BECAUSE they were so simple. In fact a company here in Newcastle carried on making/selling parts for them until about 10 years ago - new wings, sills, floor panels, plus all the mechanical parts. The same company would also restore your car, or sell you a fully-restored one, quite cheap.

They made quite a nice open-top version ("convertible") . . . and on the Traveller version, the wood at the back was not just stuck on for effect - it was actually structural !

[​IMG]

The same local company also sold a full kit of timbers to rebuild the back end on these versions !

Roger G3YRO