Selling Up..........BUT

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by G7FPM, May 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G7FPM

G7FPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Having moved in to a flat, no garden and no hopes...........I will be selling up my equipment in good time. What I would like to ask you guys and gals out there, could you recommend a decent (not too expensive) HF mobile, that way I can still use the benefits of being a Ham.
    The HF will have to be fairly simple to use, not one of these things where one knob does a veirity of configurations, so the simpler the better.
    Appreciate any help and views on this. Thanks in advance.
    G7FPM h.pontin@sky.com

2. VE3CGA

VE3CGA Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a ft757gx in a minivan (mercury villager or nissan quest) I worked the world from that setup. I used hamsticks and homebrew verticals with center loading coils I made from pvc and some aluminium end caps I had made. TxStock34.gif
    I had to make an extender of sorts to elevate the bottom of the verticals due to swr of the antenna being too close to the rear door. Didnt have this problem when I mobiled in my car. Thats it in the picture attaching to the frame component underneath and ends 1/2 way up the signal light.
    Theres newer radios but I'd suggest 100W with an antenna tuner built in but if your antenna has flat match then its not needed
    It depends on whether or not you want brand new or good used if theres such a thing.

Before I bought the IC9100 I was looking at the 7300 and ft991.
    After using the 9100 I would say if you can afford a new rig, then one with DSP or SDR would be the way to go with 100W output.

3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want to keep the rig really simple and easy to operate I'd suggest finding a used Kenwood TS-130. If you want something a bit smaller but still pretty intuitive I'd look for a TS-50S. There are many newer and very good rigs but they tend to increasingly depend on menu functions as you go to newer equipment so if you want to keep it really simple to operate then consider some older gear.

4. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

WD5IKX-mobile install-01.JPG WD5IKX-mobile install-02.JPG

I run an Icom 706MK2G in my mobile. It is fairly simple to operate and has HF and VHF / UHF and has remote head configuration. The antenna is the most important part of a mobile installation.