Selling Stuff at Dayton

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE8CTH, May 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE8CTH

KE8CTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Alright so I'm going to the Dayton Hamvention (pretty stoked it's going to be my first time down there!!) and I was wondering how well used equipment sells down there. I want to sell my Drake R8B and I was thinking about bringing it down there. Just wanted to get some feelers here on the forum here before I lug this receiver down there. In your experience down at Dayton, do people bring loads of cash with them expecting to buy used radio equipment (looking to get around $1200 for this receiver, this one has the VHF converter in it and the remote control unit)? I would much rather sell this thing in person rather than ebay or the forums here just because the potential buyers could try/test the equipment out before they buy and you avoid the shipping hazards (cost for shipping and risk of damage or lost). I'm thinking about just carrying this receiver in a backpack with a sign on it looking to sell. Is this acceptable down at Dayton or do you have to get a booth to sell used equipment? I will take any information you have. Thanks it's always appreciated.

KE8CTH

2. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Never been to Dayton. But, at the fests up in 9-land, I've seen sellers and buyers (with a "wanted" sign) doing what you propose.

CAVEAT: If you do go ahead as proposed, be sure to do the deal in a open, public area. You don't want to be lured into a secluded area and robbed of radio and sale proceeds.

73!
    N9LCD

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been to Dayton Hamvention many times and have seen people doing what you propose. But if there's a flea market space available, I'd go for that instead. Lots of advantages to doing that, one of which is you can pull your vehicle in before it opens and park right there, so you don't have to carry anything. Another is the exposure. Almost everybody walks the flea market...I always did, two or three times.

That provides the opportunity to set up and really demo the gear for sale. Can't demo it from a backpack.

To demo a receiver, you need an antenna or it might light up but sound dead.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I see guys in trenchcoats there all the time, trying to sell QSL cards. :)

KD4MOJ and K2XT like this.
  5. KE8CTH

KE8CTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a little Bonito whip antenna that I can bring down there but need some power. Are there usually power strips everywhere down there to plug these puppies in or what? Should I be thinking about batteries to supply power?

6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I am stoked! And whatnot.

7. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

There are no power strips of outlets in the flea market area. Personally, I would do as Steve suggests; get a space and try to sell it. It add "validity" that you're an actual seller and you could power and demo it off the car battery. If the weather is good, the flea market aisles will be jammed. Very difficult to do a sale pitch when there are lots of people walking and talking all around you in an aisle and obviously, very difficult to really demo. And, even if I was real interested in picking up a receiver like this, I wouldn't hand over $1200 to someone selling it from his back pack walking the aisles. I would be suspicious of its origin.

8. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

"Say little girl ... wanna QSL?"

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Psssst.... I got ballast tubes. Meet me in the alley behind the hotdog vendor carts in 10 minutes.

10. K4YND

K4YND Ham Member QRZ Page

Last year at Dayton, I tried to pick up a TS-120/130. I found several but the sellers were evasive about them working 100%. I passed. That was for a 175.00-200.00. No way I would drop 1K on a radio in the flea market there.

Leave the Drake at home and go enjoy the show.

AB1QP likes this.