ad: K6IOK-1

Selling on QRZ - Shipping Costs of Heavy Items

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N0KTB, Jan 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0KTB

N0KTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks again.

I think I may try to sell "pick-up" only on the bigger items at first. There is a big hamfest in June (Ham-Com) that I could go to if I can't make the online thing happen. I do have a lot of items that are easier to ship that I can get started with.

Ok, thank you, everyone! I think I know enough to get started. Hardest part is taking the first step.

Adam
    N0KTB

2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

By the way, the "limited" QRZ audience is the largest ham forum of its kind on the internet. If you have a great item, it will sell on QRZ faster than you can spin the VFO dial one turn. Case in point: my good friend sold his IC-7600 here on QRZ in ONE HOUR after posting. It doesn't get much better than that.

In addition, we have MORE price information than eBay on this type of gear. Our swapmeet history goes back more than a decade. -fred

N0KTB, K3RW, KC9BNW and 4 others like this.
  3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't say (or hint) that QRZ has a "limited" audience. My message was simply that more venues = more buyers.

If an item sold quickly, the item may have been rare and/or underpriced.

Ebay's advanced search function allows someone to look for a specific item that has sold. Buyers and sellers can use that to get an idea of what something is worth. QRZ's search function doesn't always show sold items.

N0KTB and W7UUU like this.
  4. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

Or more specifically, the selling price. Not everything sells at the listing/asking price after all.

N0KTB likes this.
  5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. On an Advanced search on eBay, you can specify sold items or, just auctions that closed (which also shows items that didn't sell).

N0KTB and W7UUU like this.
  6. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

I think packaging tube equipment for shipping is one of the most labor-intensive tasks I have ever done, but if you're motivated, it can be done successfully and saves additional problems in the end rather than dealing with damage.

I've concluded it isn't worth the time unless what you're shipping is fairly valuable.

You need a source for boxes. Lots of boxes. The dollar stores like "Dollar General" near me toss an unlimited supply of boxes and are happy to get rid of them.

I recently disposed of a 1950's-60's ham shack for a relative who had Heathkit and National tube equipment. Classic boat anchors. This stuff weighed 30+ lbs after packaging.

I started with a box that was large enough to have a couple inches of clearance all around the item. I cut up another box leaving the bottom and 2 sides intact and glued it inside the outer box with wood glue and carpentry clamps etc. Then I did the same with the opposite diagonal. So I've got 3 layers of cardboard on the bottom and double walls throughout.

Where the interior double walls met at the corners, I reinforced the corners with pieces of cardboard bent at a 90' angle glued and clamped in. Sort of like cardboard angle irons reinforcing the corners.

You may even want triple wall thickness and 5 thick on the bottom depending on how heavy your item is.

Now you have to protect the face and rear protrusions including the knobs and meter on the front and projections, if any, on the back.

You take around 10 pieces of cardboard stacked on top of each other, all cut from boxes, so the stack is about 1.5" thick, cut to the same size as the front and back faces and make cut-outs for the knobs, and the meter, so there's no contact with any of them. It's like a 'template' of the front and back with cut-outs for anything that protrudes.

Seal up the radio in a protective plastic bag first.

I left the tubes in their sockets.

You put the radio in the box with the templates on the front and back and then keep adding sheets of cardboard cut out of boxes on all 4 sides until it's mummified and doesn't move.

Then you add cardboard to the top until it's flush with the top of the box. Then seal everything with tape. 3 strips in all 3 directions. Double thickness of tape in all 9 wraps. You use most of a roll of tape.

When you're done, it's bombproof.

I tell the recipient to open the parcel by cutting the top off and then vertically slitting all 4 corners with a box cutter, like pealing a banana, and the sides all flop open flat leaving the content intact.

Or you can pay one of the commercial shippers to do their thing, but I think this is actually more secure.

I vowed never to do it again.

And you can get discounts from UPS and Fedex by being a member of many organizations or maybe AAA. It saves money by printing out the shipping labels at home and then simply dropping the parcel at one of the UPS or Fedex stores. The shipping expense gets charged to your credit card. I always compared UPS and Fedex going to the same address, and they were often close but there were sometimes considerable differences. It costs more to ship form Kinkos or other mailbox stores.

Good luck.

KP4SX likes this.
  7. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

About shipping & insurance .
    If you want it covered , you need to let the shipper package it .
    Generally they do not cover what they do not package , at least with less of a fight .

8. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

There's usually a 'base' level of insurance of like $50 or $100 that UPS and Fedex offer bundled in with the shipping price. It's $50 for USPS priority mail using their boxes.

When you print out your shipping labels at home you can simply specify how much extra insurance you want, if any and pay for it.

9. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

i shipped a bunch of HEAVY military boat anchors recently. one of the buyers suggested using the sheet foam insulation from houses. its like 5/8" or so, comes in 4' x 8' sheet or so. built up the box inside with that to a tight fit. also peanuts, foam and bubble wrap.

i understand that all boxes and radios arrived intact and undamaged.

the sheet foam was easy to cut with a knife and straight edge and pretty cheap

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    W8TJM likes this.
  10. N0KTB

N0KTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! Thanks for your detailed method. I am leaning towards selling the radio and amp in June at Hamcom, or local pick-up. The shipping and packing is what worries me, and it is not something you just throw in a box and call it good.

Thanks for the information. I am sure others will find it as useful as I have.

And, I like the sheet foam insulation tip! Thanks for sharing.

Adam
    N0KTB