Selling on QRZ - Shipping Costs of Heavy Items

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by N0KTB, Jan 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0KTB

N0KTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, Fellow QRZ'rs!

First post here at QRZ. I am in the process of selling some ham radio gear that my dad had when he was alive. I am a Ham, but not active, so it is time for some of the gear to go to a good home.

With that being said, I have some big heavy items (i.e. amplifier, HF rig) that I would like to sell on QRZ. I have debated on using eBay or QRZ. I called a local amateur radio store in the DFW area and he recommended QRZ. So, I think I have decided to use QRZ to list and hopefully sell my items.

With that being said, what is an appropriate way to list shipping costs? For example, a 50-lb amplifier will be more costly to ship to the coasts than it would be to ship one state away. Or, what about local meet/pickup? Is it fair or acceptable to list the price of the equipment then say that shipping costs can be determined based on location?

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks for your help and input!

Adam
    N0KTB

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

With a local sale only and no shipping you limit how many people there are to sell it to big time! Maybe using Craigslist for that might be an option.
    I see perfectly good ham gear at fairly decent prices on Craigslist that are listed for MONTHS on end.

You can package the item up ready for shipping and go to the USPS, FedX or whatever website and with the weight (don't just guess) and dimensions to get an idea of the shipping costs.
    You can then decide how you want to go about listing it and decide just what you want to try and get out of it. I don't use UPS. It seems anywhere in the past that I take it to ship adds on their own handling charges that isn't accounted for on their website.

If you want to get every dollar you can out of it and list the price too high PLUS the (perhaps) high shipping cost you will dramatically limit those who will be interested as the shipping cost adds too much to the overall cost and it is no longer worth it. You have to be aware of what the item usually would sell for used currently.

You better know dang well how to safely package this stuff or expect a lot of problems!!

WZ7U likes this.
  3. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO the "best" way is to list the price and say that packing & shipping will be added to the cost. That lets the buyer decide if it's worth shipping the gear.

Pick-up is fine; it saves packing and shipping costs which can be significant. Accept used U.S. Currency, nothing bigger than a $10. Consider the risk of being robbed by your supposed buyer in choosing a location.

If you really want to sell, be flexible and accommodate your buyer as much as possible. It's all about mutual comfort, not mutual stubbornness.

4. N0KTB

Very good information. Thank you! I should probably do my research on shipping so I have a worst-case number.

You bring up a good point about packing and shipping: One of my concerns is the safely packing. Specifically, I have an amplifier with tubes and I have read some people will remove the tubes and ship separately. Is this necessary?? I guess removing the tubes couldn't be that difficult, and maybe it is critical to keep the tubes safe.

Thank you for your input!

Adam
    N0KTB

5. N0KTB

Thank you! I have seen listings done the way you describe listing the shipping as an added cost. I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth area which is a pretty big market ... and perhaps I could reach somebody in this area without the need for shipping.

I have looked through forums and read experiences and things to watch out for as a seller. So many gotchas and things to watch out for! So, I agree ... mutual comfort is essential.

Thanks again for your input.

Adam
    N0KTB

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Why limit your audience? There are other online ham classified ad venues, including eHam (link), QTH (link).

Dave @W7UUU has done A LOT of buying/selling on eBay. He has recommended using a postal money order as a seller. Speaking of eBay, you can use it to get an idea of what people HAVE PAID for an item. After you're registered and logged in, you can do an "Advanced" search for an item that has sold.

W7UUU likes this.
  7. N0KTB

Thank you. Yes, with the guidance of these posts and reading some of the posts on this forum, I have gained a lot of insight. Thank you for the links. I see your point: QRZ, eHam, QTH are classifieds ... the more exposure the better.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Adam
    N0KTB

WA7PRC likes this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You may want to try local pickup listings first for a while (in Craigslist, QRZ, eBay, QTH), since you are in a large metro area. If you sell it that way, even for a little less money, it avoids all of the packing, shipping, possible damage and payment issues. If it doesn't sell locally you can always relist for shipping.

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can transport all the gear at one time, selling at a local fest would be a good idea.

I'd prefer an outdoors fest where you can sell right out of your vehicle. If you sell indoors, you'd need a trusted second person to work the table while you move around.

K2HAT likes this.
  10. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

I would do that, those larger tubes are prone to damage if shipped with in the amp. It's a good idea to mark which socket they came from.

WZ7U likes this.