Self supporting tower base removal?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N7TAT, Jan 14, 2022 at 11:09 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7TAT

N7TAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What do you do with the big concrete base block for your tower when you move out of your house?

Leave it?
    Grind the mounts flush?
    Hire someone to remove it?

2. W9IQ

W9IQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I poured the last one so the top was below the natural grade. When we sold, I regraded the area to bury the 4×4 foot pad surface area. Naturally, I included this fact in the seller's disclosures and the buyer had no problem with it.

- Glenn W9IQ

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 11:30 PM
    K0UO likes this.
  3. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I was stupid when I poured mine in 1975. I poured them flush with the ground. I had to have one removed when I built my garage. The rest are still standing now 23 years after I moved. It was such a great radio location, I wish I could go back.

4. KA2BLG

KA2BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine is still at my parents house, right where I left it in 1989. I suspect it will be resting comfortably in the same spot when I sell that house as an estate.

The buyer that doesn’t want it will be removing it at their time and expense.

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't point it out if the buyer accepts the house the way it is, then it's their problem.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^Great suggestion.

I've had towers at all my houses. If I sell to a non-ham so that means removing the tower, I tell them it's a small patio for a birdbath or a barbecue.

That seems to work. I've never tried removing a 10,000 pound concrete block.

K0UO likes this.
  7. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Grind off any metal sticking out. If a tube fill it with concrete or expoxy. Now they have the world's most stable base for a birdbath/planter/BBQ pit/...

8. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When my folks moved to assisted living I had Dad’s tower removed and he instructed me to cut the legs off at the concrete. The foundation would be good spot for BBQ at the that QTH.

At my QTH the foundation is a monolith of about 12 yards of concrete. I cut into the side of the hill and leveled a spot before digging the hole for the foundation. If I leave/sell the QTH and I’m still vertical, I’ll just remove the tower, cut off the base and restore the grade with a few truckloads of dirt and a weekend on the John Deere.

When the EME tower at the shop goes up I’ll just remove the tower when I’m done with it. Someone else can deal with the foundation if it’s an issue for them.

9. KE0KOY

KE0KOY Ham Member QRZ Page

You could drill some holes and try one of those expansive demolition grouts like GeoBreak or Dexpan. I've heard that stuff can break up reinforced concrete fairly easily.