Sel phone? I wanted and amp? email scam?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N2LIE, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N2LIE

N2LIE Ham Member QRZ Page

The other week I posted a want add 4 a amp 4 my flex 1500.
    It was posted on Qrz and I got a very veg Email about sending AROUND $100 4 a sell phone???or sum thing like that.To a poor imegrent girl.??
    Has this happen 2 any 1 how posted a add on this wed site??
    Mike Ashley N2lie

2. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

You posted your e-mail address in that want ad, didn't you? In a perfect world, that would be the thing to do, but that was scammer bait.

May I suggest (to everyone) saying something like "If interested, please reply via this thread, e-mail, or PM" when posting ANY thread. That way, only registered hams can reply to you. That will put a layer of protection between you and the scammers.

And may I suggest to the QRZ staff that this advice be made a permanent part of the ad posting guidelines. :)

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You'll get less such spam if you write out your e-mail address using plain English instead of the symbols; i.e., instead of n2lieashley@gmail.com, you could write n2lieashley at gmail dot com. People will get it, but the spam traps won't.

4. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Doing it that way will take care of garden variety spam, but the scam e-mails are usually generated by human scammers.

The people running those scams generally aren't very bright, but they probably have the minimal intelligence required to reconstruct an e-mail address written out as you describe.

Here is a test:

If anyone wants to sell me a bridge in Brooklyn, please contact me at w0is at A double R L dot net. I prefer to pay via Western Union. :)

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

How much will you pay for my bridge? Shipping might be a bit much.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll pay you two million. I'll send you one million up front, but I won't send the second million until after it's delivered.

Since I'm holding on to half of your money until after it's delivered to my satisfaction, there's absolutely no way that you can rip me off. :)

7. K8ERV

But I can try.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I will send the 2 million in it's entirety. If you can then send me $5,000, I will send the additional $1Million you are due.

We work out delivery at later moment.

9. K8ERV

Sounds like a plan to me.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an extremely rare unbuit Heathkit bridge designed to cross the East River in New York City, to connect Manhattan to Brooklyn.

Only $4.95. Shipping is $16,245,399.48

We accept PayPal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.