ad: ARR

Seen on QTH.com - someone trying to scam for QRZ.com ad

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by NN4X, Jun 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NN4X

NN4X Ham Member QRZ Page

This is pretty ingenious, actually.

MISC - BEWARE!! SCAMMER KC9OET
    I have an ad running for my Icom 7851 and a matching pair of SP-34 speakers.
    This morning I received an email from KC9OET claiming he wanted to buy all three pieces at the asking price and would pay using Paypal. He wanted a complete set of photos of all sides of every piece of the gear.
    He also wanted a photo of the front of the transceiver powered up with HIS call KC9OET "written on a piece of paper" sitting in front of the powered on radio. I used one of my QSL cards and wrote his call in the usual spot it would go on the card. He said that was no good and not to use a QSL card. I should do it again but use a plain piece of paper. Not thinking about that I did as he asked. Never heard from him again. Apparently he is planning a scam to sell a pristine Icom 7851 with the "owner" being KC9OET. Now he has all the photos he needs to attempt to pull off the scam. BEWARE of any ads from KC9OET!!
    ESPECIALLY FOR AN ICOM 7851 and/or A PAIR OF SP-34 speakers!!
    Listing #1442063 - Submitted on 06/03/19 by Callsign K3BF - IP: wsip-70-183-231-43.pn.at.cox.net
    https://swap.qth.com/search-results.php?keywords=1442063&fieldtosearch=ListingNo

2. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The scammers have been doing this method for some time now. The profile of the hijacked call signs profile page has recently been updated as well telling us the scammer is about to strike. Thanks for sharing!

AJ4GQ likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not seeing anything on the KC9OET page. No email address either. Go figure.

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

If I did not already know it was a scam when the subject asked for his call to be displayed in a photo with my equipment that would have ended that transaction immediately.

NZ4X likes this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Should there be a single 'repository' of reported hacked callsigns/accounts? Or is there one already?

Maybe in a 'sticky' at top of sale forum?

I think someone may have already asked this question but I forget the answer.

Maybe Hart @AJ4GQ was doing something like that?

6. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

KC9OET was active as of today on QRZ. Two forsale ads under that call from 2017 and 2018 were both flagged caution due to no photos.