SEEKING TOWER INSTALLATION HELP IN DALLAS, TEXAS

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K5FRH, Feb 22, 2021 at 7:23 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K5FRH

K5FRH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello.
    I am seeking help to install a Rohn 25 tower, 50 feet, free standing, but bracketed to my home. It will support a light weight Hex Beam, so wind load will be minimal.

If you are in the DFW area, or can recommend someone, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks, Rod, K5FRH
    Irving, Texas

2. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Rod,
    Sorry - am in Wisconsin. But even with that I don't have a tower (yet) and have no practical experience to offer.

But - unless you have a tall house, I wonder if you can free stand 50 feet of Rohn 25 as you describe?
    Here is Rohn's Free Standing page: http://www.rohnnet.com/files/2015_Rohn_Full_Catalog.pdf#page=170

Assuming your Hex Beam is about 5 square feet of wind loading, plus another foot or two for rotator & mast - the chart seems to indicate about 30 feet.

Or am I reading it wrong (quite possible)??

3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There's no such thing as a 50 foot Rohn 25 free-standing Tower.
    That is if you're putting it up to code and the manufacturer's recommendations.
    Bracketing it to your house may or not may not work/ depending on whether you have a two-story house and what you are bracketing it to.

AK5B likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

With a 2-story (or taller) home using two Rohn wall brackets installed per their instructions, 20' above the upper bracket and unsupported is fine. Maybe 30' with a small area load.

Their engineering docs do call for two brackets, not one.:)

KD0CAC and NG1H like this.
  5. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like another "ham radio tower falls injuring/killing somebody" news story in the making.

How about a self-supporting tower, on a proper base, bracketed to nothing, that can safely go up 50' ? One that allows a bigger load for when you get sick of the hexbeam and want something better?

Half-ass a tower, get predictable results.

Plus a tower is either bracketed or freestanding - it can't be both.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 3:08 PM
    AK5B and K0UO like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Make sure your insurance covers the climber.

AK5B and K0UO like this.
  7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You have an excellent resource locally in Texas Towers. Be "guyded" by their advice.

I have been experimenting for years, trying to find a cheap, easy way make lots of 30-40 ft. supports for wire antennas. I often do things you shouldn't to. But all my experiments are out in the fields, where they can't hit anything but the ground. And so far, they all have! I still haven't found anything better than a push-up pole.

N0TZU and AK5B like this.
  8. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed. 20' above the highest bracket or guy. Yes, per the specs you might get away with a small antenna and 30' but I wouldn't climb it and you should be prepared for some roof repair when it is blown over from high winds. If you want more than 20' unsupported I would move up to Rohn 45.

AK5B and K0UO like this.
  9. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

The Holy Grail for a lot of us, too. Ideally, we all would have planted Monterey Pines on our properties about twenty years before we became hams, eh? :D

Jeff

10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, twenty years before I became a ham I was -4 years old, so...