Seeking Recommendation: Someone to Align DX-160

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by KD2NOM, Nov 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All,

I'm seeking a recommendation from my fellow Ham's on the 'Zed' for a person / shop to perform a 'factory' alignment on my Realistic DX-160 that I have reconditioned.

I do not have the necessary equipment nor am I competent enough to do this myself. The closer to my QTH of NJ the better, but I am not opposed to shipping it out to CONUS states.

Thank you for your time.

73, Mark - KD2NOM

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a real hard thing to do yourself as a "Learning Experience"
    I don't have the Manual, BUT it doesnt require a whole lot of equipment.

In a lot of the old manuals they pretty much used an analog meter connected
    to the speaker output and adjusted for a peak reading of the needle. (No scope required)
    BUT you did need a signal source, And they probably specified tuning in to a specific frequency on the receiver...You could probably get a decent Signal generator off Flea Bay (I even have one) for less than it would cost to ship the radio somewhere..
    Proper alignment tool required (Diddle stick to fit the slot in the coil)
    YMMV

3. KD2NOM

Robert,

Thank you for the suggestion. In looking at the manual, the alignment setup shows the following:

Standard RF Signal Generator --> I.E.C. Dummy Antenna --> Antenna (DX-160) --> Oscilloscope and V.T.V.M

So at a minimum, looks like I need a Sig Gen and a Vacuum Tube Voltmeter (I can probably build the I.E.C as the service manual includes a schematic). The alignment procedure looks to require the Oscilloscope but I could be wrong. It appears to be outside my capabilities without some supervision.

73, Mark - KD2NOM

4. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

You can try Hamrepair.com....fairly reasonable and quick turn....email them first to ask...

5. KD2NOM

Thank Christopher,

I'll give them a look.

73, Mark - KD2NOM