Seeking advise on using an aluminum ladder for temporary

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N3AWS, May 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone used an aluminum extension ladder for a temporary mast (think Field Day)?

If so, please share your experiences, both good and bad.

Thanks and 73!

Jim N3AWS

2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The guying will make or break your installation. Think it through.

KU3X, AK5B and N3AWS like this.
  3. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Our club did something similar during field day several years ago. We extended the ladder to 32' ( 31' probably would have been better ), tied the center of a long rope to the top rung, set the base on pieces of wood, and tied the rope ends securely to trees. A ground rod was driven at the base. Coax with a PL-259 on one end and pig tails on the other end was connected to the ladder and ground rod with C-clamps. It loaded up well on 40 and other bands using a tuner.

We used a similar set up to use a typical farm fence about 240 ' long on wooden posts by driving a ground rod near the center and clamping the center conductor to the bottom wire of the fence. Still talked about today.

Bob

N3AWS likes this.
  4. K3TS

K3TS Ham Member QRZ Page

We have done it many times, for Field Day and other portable operations. The good is that it is quick and easy to do. The bad is that most of these ladders are still too short in many cases. We would put a set of guys on the base section, and another set of guys on the fly section; and raise the ladder up before extending it. Even in high winds, we never had one fall over. If I did not have access to an AB-577 mast for Field Day, the aluminum extension ladder would be my next choice.

de K3TS

N8ZL and N3AWS like this.
  5. KI8DJ

KI8DJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Load up the ladder. Hi hi

6. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

I know a ham that had one up at his home for more than 30 years. He made a hinged base for raising and lowering and to my knowledge it never came down due to poor wx.