ad: Alphaant-1

Secret PRINTER CODES!!!

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA6MHZ, Jul 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems new printers are set up so as not to be able to copy checks and money. This is a good thing for security (and to prohibit counterfiting cash) They detect some kind of data in the check or dollar bill and the printer REFUSES to print. Not that I am trying to forge anything, but as Treasurer for the local Community association, I have to keep copies of all membership checks that come in. I scan them to PDF, but then can't print them! Anyone ever seen this?

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I keep copies of my folding money, just in case I'm kidnapped. ;)

KD4MOJ likes this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m not sure, but perhaps the printer is seeing the security pattern in the check background. If so, you might be able to change the contrast settings on the scanner so it doesn’t record them.

I can print check images from my online bank account, and those images are devoid of any such marks.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Take a picture with your phone and print that?

Dave
    W7UUU

5. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

G4COE, WF7A and KB2SUJ like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It may be the bar code / routing information that all check have.

7. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And death certificates. I tried to copy my wife's death certificate and I got a black page. There is something that is coded there that makes the printer refuse to work. Just take a photo with your camera and that will work.

de NK2U

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have a nearly-brand-new Brother MFC-L2700DW laser printer/copier and had no problem making a photocopy of a new-issue $20 bill (with security features) no problem at all.

Of course, I shredded the copy - but just a data point, at least as regards Brother copiers.

Of course, it's a black-only laser printer - could be a different thing on a color printer.

Dave
    W7UUU

9. K6DWI

K6DWI Ham Member QRZ Page

10. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

I read in a couple of places somewhere that printers actually print a pixelated code, telling which brand and model the printer is on every sheet that is printed.

I don't know about Dollar bills on stateside... but our 'paper money' glows under UV, that would make it harder to copy, especially the new 'plastic' money which has a see through portion.

Dave

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020