Second-rate operating? I don't think so.

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by MW1CFN, Dec 17, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Some articles tend to suggest /M or /P operating is a poor cousin to home stations.

Well, get near some water with a simple stick and wire antenna, and happily work stations those even slightly inland may not hear at all.

More than that, you can escape any bad neighbour/HOA/planning dept and never cry when your $7000 rig is plagued by next door's SMPSUs!

Have a look at various WSPR articles I've written, including this one about this morning:

https://mw1cfnradio.blogspot.com/2019/12/more-amazing-wsprs.html

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was setting up for some contest, at a nearby park, and was dialing around. Heard a very loud, but weak signal, and decided to work them. VE3BWP was on a beach in Costa Rica, with his 817 and a manually-tuned screwdriver-type antenna. We had a nice chat, despite his signal being an S0 - absolutely no meter indication. Best QSO of the weekend. He apparently made a number of other good contacts, despite his power and antenna setup.

KF5VDX likes this.
  3. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

Mobile and portable is all I do. It makes me very happy when I bust a DX pileup from the mobile.

Some of my best contacts were made while operating portable from my travel trailer in remote locations.

WD5IKXm at Grasslands.JPG

John WD5IKX

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    K2SOG and W7EDC like this.
  4. WB1CDG

WB1CDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, the reason I got back INTO ham radio after a long hiatus was because of portable operation. When I'm home, I have a million things to do, and a million MORE added by my XYL. Who has *TIME* to operate when home? Not me! Maybe after I retire and run out of obligations, I'll find time to sit around on the radio. But for now, the only time I can really goof off and play on the air is when I'm on vacation. So I bought a battery-powered FT-818ND and a balun from LDG and have a ball when we go camping. I toss a "random longwire" into the trees (probably around 36' long) with a counterbalance (a steel measuring tape, adjusted for whatever band I'm on), tune it up with an LDG 817 auto tuner and away I go! First contact was a 650 mile contact on 40m, followed by another 650-ish mile contact in the other direction to a Canadian ham. Then I hit a Colorado station (about 1,000 miles away). All with 2.5 watts on SSB, from a picnic table in a campground! This kind of fun and magic is what brought me to radio back in the 1970s! Sitting at home with a kilowatt out into a 3-element beam on top of a tower in the back yard? Pfft. You might as well visit a chat room on the computer and not have to mess with all the extra fuss of radio equipment. Yes, I'll still turn on the radio at home on those rare occasions where I have a couple of minutes after dinner perhaps, but those opportunities don't arise very often. Camping is when I enjoy ham radio most! IMHO all of the fun of Ham Radio is found in HF portable/mobile and QRP ops!
    73!
    de WB1CDG

KF5VDX and WD5IKX like this.