Second Logbook for SWL Reports?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N6AVI, Aug 30, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N6AVI

N6AVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all! I'm a fairly new user to QRZ, and a recently granted licensee for Technician. I was hoping to get insight on how to make a seperate logbook other than my main one that displays in my QRZ page.

Because I'm a new HAM, I dont really have a need to log 2 way contacts with the limited equipment I currently have, which is a UV-5R.

However, for years before I got my license, I have DX'ed on a lot of radio bands.

One of my favorites is SW. And one keen mode I like to listen and DX for is FT8. Now that I had my license, I wanted to see if there was a way to get into contact with other operators on this band. That is why I have started to use eQSLs as an SWL from eQSL.cc.

However, very recently one of my SWL Reports came back with a request to log this as a QSO. Now before all the long timers and ragchewers get on me for such a notion, I know this is not technically a proper "QSO". However, he sent me the QSO request to my QRZ account anyways, and I wanted to be nice and just accept it.

Again, I want to preface that I know this may look very bad (considering someone may interpret it as me working on a band that im not authorized for, yet at least), but just as someone who has been an avid SWL'er and DX'er, is there some sort of way to just make a new log SOLELY for SWL "contacts"?

I know the goal of HAM is to always try and get 2 way communications, but as someone who is just starting out (who could also use some guidance on equipment to start with, if you all dont mind), I am just wanting to get some insight into it all.

Thanks for reading.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't accept the QSL request if there was no 2-way contact.
    Welcome to ham radio (not HAM)

3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just ignore SWL requests.

Also, its Ham not HAM but its SWL not Swl.... :)

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny that a large majority of hams don't really care how a person spells it, and even those who think it's technically incorrect tend to not really worry about it. Let's not be nitpicky with a newbie. OK?
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...am-instead-of-ham.710680/page-16#post-5580705

Now... about the SWL vs ham QSL card thing: they are two different things. BUT if an SW listener requests a card, there is no problem sending him a card acknowleging a reception report, as long as you are clear that you are not acknowledging a QSO. As mentioned above, a QSO denotes a two way contact.... but by acknowleging his reception report, you are encouraging him to maybe become a ham. A LOT of us started with SWL, and moved up to ham radio.

In the same vein, if a ham requests a QSL card when you don't have a log of actually having talked to him, then you should not send one since there was no two way contact.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That could be (or IS) considered RUDE.

A better way is to return his/her card (or eQSL however that works) WITH an explanation, OR send a "received only" confirmation, to make it clear that two-way contact was NOT made.

Oh, and BY THE WAY, it is "ham," not Ham, hAm, HaM, HAM, or any other permutation (or perversion.) The "H" gets capitalized ONLY if it is the first letter at the beginning of a sentence.

KK4NSF likes this.
  6. N6AVI

Thanks to everyone else for the feedback.

To respond to the reply above, is there any way to log a "recieve only" contact on any QRZ logbook?

7. KP4SX

He is the SWL in this case.
    I think you'll be best by sticking with eQSL for SWL confirmations. Just don't use your ham call...that will be confusing.

8. N6AVI

I usually have it set as KN6KGA/SWL, if thats appropriate.

9. KP4SX

Ok.

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't be nice in this case, please. Integrity comes first. If it was not a two-way contact, it should not be logged/confirmed as two-way contact.

I'm far from being an Old Timer, but I've seen a lot in my short 40 years as a ham.

In the good old days of the Cold War, a number of Iron Curtain countries required aspiring hams to first confirm a number of receptions as an SWL, before being licensed to TX.

It was alleged at the time that logbooks were passed around for the purposes of issuing SWL reports. To prevent this kind of thing, some old timers observed the following 'rules', before confirming an SWL report:

1) Two two-way contacts needed to be reported and,
    2) The contacts could not be with stations in the same DXCC entity of the SWL.

I thought it was reasonable. YMMV