Searching for the impossible?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W9BXX, Jul 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W9BXX

W9BXX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey all
    I'm looking for a mobile / base radio that can handle 10m, 2m, 220cm and 70cm. Oh and digital capability as well. AND...not spend a mint (<$400-500)

Any ideas/recommendations? I had wanted to set up a dual band (70/2) "shack" bought a FT8800 never got around to it, now I have a better room (upstairs) to put radio in so I'm thinking maybe I'll update the radio now as well
    Thanks

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

China makes a quad band. I think it is a 50 watt radio.

> $200 USD

3. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

As of right now, if you want anything other than FM voice on those for bands in one radio you have to buy a 'shack-in-a-box' radio that will cost you >$1K. In fact, even if you bought separate radios for each band, you will find nothing that can do anything but FM on 2m or 70cm.

I do not have tones of experience with digital modes on those bands, but I imagine that unless you want to do FM SSTV the available quad-band FM rigs will be useless.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a quad band for $280USD

TYT TH-9800 Plus 50W 809CH Quad Band Dual Display Repeater Car Mobile Radio+ Original Quad Band Antenna & TYT Programming Cable + RB400 Car Clip Edge with Teflon 5M Cable

• Transmits 10M ( 29Mhz ), 6M ( 52Mhz ), 2M ( 146Mhz ) & 70cm ( 440Mhz ) Bands, FM, 50W/40W, Receives additional frequencies too! (AM mode selectable on VHF receive frequencies for Air Band reception)

https://www.amazon.com/TYT-TH-9800-Repeater-Original-Programming/dp/B01N4DHY34

5. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

This was my first mobile radio. It took about 2 weeks running it with 1:1 SWR before the finals burnt up.:(

6. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

You're probably only going to find single band mobiles in 220 or some HTs that are tri-band 2/1.25/70. Not sure you'll be able to get what you are spec'ing out.

Edit: QYT offers a tri-band mobile. Won't do 6 or below.