SEA-PAC Amateur Radio Convention 2021 now cancelled

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7UUU, Jan 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

STILL can not imagine how DAYTON believes keeping there's on schedule is anything but IRRESPONSIBLE!

And before you blast me boys and girls, I've PERSONALLY LOST FOURTEEN once coworkers...

...and my United States Air Force daughter, a young woman who pilots a C-17...

....is now infected by Covid.

2. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Scam huh?

I've PERSONALLY LOST FOURTEEN once coworkers...

...and my United States Air Force daughter, a young woman who pilots a C-17...

....is now infected by Covid.

WA5VGO likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the DARA folks are using the information they have available to them, and acting accordingly.

But the world seems to be playing 'hurry up' into a maelstrom of dysfunction. Tough to keep up and plan.

Remember that a month ago, there was a roll out of vacs schedules that now has been stretched out in an indeterminate way.

Chip W1YW

4. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I pray for your daughter's recovery. I have daughters too. No one should ever have to outlive their own child. If she's a C-17 pilot, I'm sure that she's healthy and strong, so her chances are extremely good.

That being said, I don't think that anyone is arguing that the virus isn't real. Clearly and obviously, it is. But many of us are also certain that the hype and this governmental over reaction of shutting down every business and organization that has any sort of social component to it is pure politically motivated ************

N9EAW, NC3C, NE8SC and 3 others like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've not heard anything official, but I cannot imagine that Mic and Key will go on as usual in March. Stanwood maybe - it's pretty small by comparison, as ham fests go.

We'll just have to wait and see

Dave
    W7UUU

6. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Uh huh, whatever.....

K7PJM and W0PV like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Folks please remember: This is an article in "Amateur Radio News". There are plenty of threads in other forums for debating Covid issues.

The purpose of this article was to make folks in the region aware that SEA-PAC has been cancelled.

Dave
    W7UUU

K7PJM, K3RW, KI7HSB and 1 other person like this.
  8. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I went to Rickreall in February and Mic and Key in March last year. Even without any restrictions in place at that point both events were way down in attendance compared to previous years. There were many empty tables at Mic and Key as vendors canceled and the crowds were much smaller.

A few ham clubs near me did parking lot bed-of-your-truck swap meets later in the year.

9. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

@W7UUU And everyone concerned: the Mike & Key ham fest for 2021 has also been canceled, according to their website.

I think that this will be pretty much settled by mid 2021, early 2022 at the latest.

10. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to be argumentative but the title of this thread tells readers all they need to know. CANCELLED. The comments neither add to nor delete from the purpose of the article as the title accomplished it all. I am not insensitive to the COVID issue having a daughter and two grandchildren along with 4 others that I know contract it. They all recovered, no hospitalization needed. What I am sensitive to, and being a resident of Oregon where Sea-Pac is held, is the admitted exaggeration of COVID cases in this state and the draconian edicts of the Governor who is killing child development through forced school closures (even though there are absolutely minimal COVID issues with school aged children); and the absolutely destructive effect her edicts are having on small business owners.

Sea-Pac is held in Seaside, OR in Clatsop County. That county has had, to date, 607 positive COVID tests and 3 COVID deaths in the entire county since the beginning of this virus 10 months ago. Hardly a huge risk. The convention could have been held with social distancing requirements, mandatory mask wearing, etc. But, no let's just stand by and let one more positive activity be shut down when the threat doesn't justify it.

W7RY and KA2FIR like this.