ad: KF7PMW-1

SDRPlay Spectrum Analyzer

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by WB2LBV, Mar 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool Beans. :cool:

3. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Been waiting for the 1.0 release, kudos to Steve.

Ted, KX4OM

4. G0HZU

G0HZU QRZ Member

Thanks for posting this update! I recently purchased an RSP1A and I've just tried the download for the spectrum analyser. The install took a while but it all seems to work. I was hoping it would have a 1Hz noise marker option but hopefully this will come in a future release. It would also be nice if it could somehow mimic being controlled via GPIB (via a VB program for example) because it could be used as a piece of automated test gear for certain tasks. Hopefully something like this will be added at some point in the future. I'll have a proper play with it tomorrow on some test gear and hopefully this first version will already be very useful :)

5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a lot more info on the SDRplay Spectrum Analyser available lately in the SDRplay community forum. Steve Andrew has developed the code for Trackgen, a very low cost Arduino-AD9850/AD9851 tracking generator. He continues to develop the Spectrum Analyser software toward the next release. The current version is 1.0a.

A ham who goes by TomTekTest on Youtube has done 3 videos of about 30 minutes each on evaluating the SDRplay Spectrum Analyser, using the RSP1A. All of the other versions of the SDRplay are compatible with the software. The videos compare the SDRplay against other spectrum analyzers in his lab. For example, in the first video, he demonstrates that the SDRplay SA can resolve a -130 dBm oscillator signal at a noise level of -140 dBm. In the second video, he compares the lab SAs that he owns against the RSP1A in analyzing unmodulated, FM and AM modulated signals and harmonics. In the third video, he uses an inexpensive noise source to view RF filters in lieu of a tracking generator. The DDS tracking generator is limited to the range of the AD9850/AD9851. Using a broadband noise source, the full range of the RSP1A of 2 GHz is available. The noise source I bought was under $12 on eBay,
    "DC 12V / 0.3A SMA noise source/Simple spectrum external tracking source"

I couldn't figure out how to post the URLs for the videos with out imbedding the video in the post.

Part one is TTT259, Part 2 is TTT261 and Part3 is TTT262. Those can be pasted into the Youtube Search window.

Ted, KX4OM

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I downloaded the Spectrum Analyser a few days ago, for use with an RSP2 .... and it works great for me.

It is especially handy for tuning my magnetic loop antenna, since it gives me a sharp peak on the antenna's resonant frequency. As soon as the peak matches the frequency of the radio, it's resonant and the SWR is 1:1. Just to be sure, I've been cross-checking it with my SWR meter and it's been spot-on.

K6CLS likes this.