SDRplay RSP2 appears to be useless on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KK4NSF, Nov 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Aha! Well the RSP can be hosted on any machine (win7 VM), and offer it's I/Q data stream on UDP to the crunching machines.

If you want to configure many many crunching machines, maybe the I/Q stream could be forwarded by multicast. (I'm guessing IP not Ethernet. Although that would interact with MOSIX process migration, which would have to cover IGMP join and leave... Maybe it does already?)

Interesting project!

2. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

I really would contact SDRPlay. Their support is very helpful and has Linux knowledge. They should also know if your RSP is one of these suspicious items or what else is wrong with your serial number.

As I said, I am running the 2.13 driver without problems on Kubuntu 18.04. I think the 3.01 brings no advantages for the single tuner RSPs, like the RSP2.

They are developing a native GNURadio source module for the RSPs which sounds very interesting but I do not (yet) feel the pressure to try it because it certainly requires modifications to gqrx.

One last word in defense of SDRPlay. It is a small start up company and they try hard to get all customers satisfied but seem to be a bit overwhelmed by their success. They have to focus their limited man power on their main project, and that's SDRUno on Windows.

3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks all for your help.

I really like the SDRplay hardware, so in spite of my frustration with the drivers, I'll use them for my project. If worst comes to worst, I can stream the data from WIN7 as noted above. I'll talk to the SDRplay folks on Monday.

Dave
    kk4nsf

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Posted just for grins. :D

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. KK4NSF

OK! Problem resolved! My Linux set-up is now up and running. It's a Thanksgiving Miracle!

After a LOT of frustration, I found the problem: it was an issue in the Ubuntu installation, apparently a corrupted file. I suspected that was the case earlier, so I wiped the drives and re-installed Ubuntu.... but it still didn't work. What I failed to consider was that there might be a problem with the installation media, so the re-install did not solve the problem.

Anyway, after looking at every possible problem with the drivers, and doing a successful installation on another Linux box, it became obvious that there was a OS issue. So, I wiped the drive again, and re-installed Ubuntu with installation media from freshly downloaded /extracted files..... and viola! It worked!

SO.... what is the moral of this story? Don't assume that any piece of software is not the problem. If you have a problem, look at both the drivers AND the OS.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  6. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations! I once had a corrupted installation media, but the MD5 checksum test discovered it.

7. KK4NSF

thank! Once it was up and running, I felt a strong sense of "I am the MAN!" As far as MD5checksum goes, it failed me in this case.

About the SDRplay guys: they are great. They restored my faith in the company.