SDRPlay Nuts!

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by VE7BPB, Nov 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 2 SDRPlay RSP2s and 4 dongles.

On every one of them the nuts on the SMA connectors were either loose when they arrived, or loosened up shortly thereafter. I tightened them up, carefully, but some of them just wouldn't stay tight.

Loctite is your friend! Or a similar product, hi.

It may seem to be a small thing, but perhaps it'll save someone an annoyance by addressing the problem, and comfort in the knowledge that you are not alone, hehehe...

regards, Roy

NL7W and N3AWS like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's nuts. :rolleyes:

Great that you found a fix.

Enjoy.

3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks for the tip. I just checked mine, and they were ok.... but just in case I loctited 'em.

4. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

The SMA connectors should come with internal star washers. They should keep the nuts locked & properly conduct to the plane they are mounted through.
    Locktite is an insulator.

Ed

NL7W likes this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine did, and I have no problems with it coming loose.

Careful tightening it up, others did not, and ended up with a broken connection inside.

WA4SIX and N3AWS like this.
  6. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your SDR's are not alone.
    Every Astron power supply I have bought (4 of them), and every Astron I have repaired for friends,
    had the main output binding post bolts not tight enough, which causes them to rotate when tightening
    cables, thereby shorting the lugs inside the case and also ripping the leads out of the bypass cap on
    the output posts. When I get any Astron on my bench, the first thing I do is take the cover off, and
    re-orient the output bolts and tighten them. Astron was apparently too cheap to use keyed/locking bolts.
    Otherwise, I love them :)

Cheers,

Neal

NL7W likes this.