SDRPlay and Linux

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KC3SWL, Jul 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

I was never able to get a "stable" audio configuration with pulse audio. Pulse audio switches between sound sources/sinks in a (at least for me) unpredictable way if sound hardware changes (an USB sound card is added/removed, a monitor with HDMI audio is added/removed).

But the good thing is it enables me to connect every sound source to every sound sink as I like, without the need to install something like "Virtual Audio Cables" as in Windows. I can connect fldigi to my TS590 USB sound card, to the SDR audio output and even to the PC sound when I want to decode a signal that someone posted in a Youtube video.

KA2CZU likes this.
  2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed - the flexibility that pulse offers is excellent - but (not unlike the rest of linux) it's not for the "set it and forget it" crowd.

Anybody make any advances on getting the SDRPlay to reliably work with linux?

3. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gqrx has been best results so far across various Linux platforms for me. Either binary or building.

4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

My best result on Linux has been running Windows 10 in VirtualBox.

5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

not yet. I HAVE gotten it to work, but it's not an easy process.... and the SDRplay instructions/ support , especially their latest driver, is very poor. My intent was to buy several RSPs for a project I'm working on, but due to their poor Linux support I went with a totally different system.

They work great on Win7, but border on non-workable for Linux.

6. KC3SWL

I don't know if it's bordering on unworkable as much as it is it al depends on which distribution you have. I noticed a variety of completely different issues based on if it was Debian based or Redhat based or a combination of the two. There are some distributions out there you can build the SDRplay Soapy module and it will be seen right away then the next spin of Linux can't find Soapy to save it's A$%. I think the original distribution of record for the SDRPlay was to be Ubuntu from what I remember. What I do see is an entirely new API out since early December I don't think I have used myself yet.
    The workflow is fairly simple but a lot of the times I ran into dev files needed and were difficult to obtain at times depending on the distribution.
    Definitely SDRplay needs a couple of all around Linux guys to sort out the distribution mess and make it an even flow across the very many distros out there. Something simple not requiring tons of dependencies varying from one distro to the other. When it is installable it works great. That's why I stated Gqrx and the GNR Radio version have worked best.
    CubicSDR has been nothing but trouble.

7. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

The way I seem to get stable results from an RSP2 plugged into my Linux box (a Raspberry Pi 3B) is to run rsp_tcp on the Pi, and stream the IQ data to my Mac or iPad, where I can view, demodulate, and listen to signals. Requires a really fast network connection between the Pi and the iPad (or Mac, et.al.).

Same method should work for any PC or Wintel SDR app that supports xyz_tcp (rtl_tcp for RTL-SDRs, hfp_tcp for Airspy HF+ and Discovery, rsp_tcp for SDR_Play devices, etc., search on GitHub for source code).

8. KC3SWL

that reminds me of this method.
    Look below
    https://www.sdrplay.com/docs/SDRunoUnderLinuxGuide.pdf

9. KI7OQF

KI7OQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Chirp,,,
    I have the repeater maps on Google Earth.
    And two binders full of everything,,
    Plus operators manuals,,,,,
    I think I do OK with analog.
    I am digital stupid,,,,not privy to it,,,,
    do I need something else?

10. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have tried that but there is too much USB latency - can you share how you set up USB in VBox so that I might get mine working well? SDRUno just hiccups constantly running in a Win10 guest (and my PC is no slouch).

Otherwise my SDRPlay works flawlessly in Linux - so I'm not sure what the issues are?

1) Install SDRPlay API
    2) Install SoapySDR
    3) Install SDR Software if your choice and its Soapy module
    4) Plug in SDRPlay
    5) Enjoy

As for me, I build CubicSDR from repo and it works great (even though Cubic isn't the best).