ad: vanity

SDRPlay and Linux

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KC3SWL, Jul 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well after all that, I can't get the raspberry pi to play any sound. Tried the analog jack and a paired bluetooth speaker. Just dont know where to troubleshoot as the "standard" suggestion about forcing audio to analog or whatever dont work.

Will continue to dig in my spare time bit may just forget this and go back to just using the rpi to collect telemetry. Or use it for WSJTX, which also works.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have the correct audio connector for the RPi ? It should be 4 conductors.

Normally a USB audio Dongle works best. They have a better A-D converter than the RPi on board.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  3. KA2CZU

Good question on the audio connector... I assumed a stereo plug would work. That said, just tried an USB audio dongle with no success.
    I would have thought the bluetooth pairing (which paired to a bt speaker) would have worked, but nothing.

Probably something screwed up while building CubicSDR.

So, think I'll try a I'll try a fresh image from somewhere, verify the audio (and some other basics) works and maybe try again sometime.

I think there might be a prebuilt image of CubicSDR that I can download as well and may give that a go.

Just too much trouble at this point trying to figure out what I screwed up.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  4. KA9JLM

Well do not give up. ;)

I might have missed the version of RPi that you are using.

The RPi3 also has Video on that connector, So a stereo connector will not work. It will be shorting out the connection because of the long sleeve.

The CM-119 audio chip dongle should be Plug and Play.

Good Luck. Never give up...

5. KA2CZU

I tried this one, which I've used many many times with windows:
    https://www.amazon.com/Syba-externa...audio+chip+dongle&qid=1571239923&sr=8-1-fkmr0

yes, it's an RPi3.

6. KA9JLM

7. K4VBB

K4VBB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wish I would have come across this post a couple of weeks ago. Of course I'm not using SDRPlay, and am instead using the RTL-SDR so my experiences may not be relevant. However, I was able to get CubicSDR to install and work on Fedora 30 (I normally use CentOS). In order to get the RTL-SDR stick to work I had to blacklist the embedded driver for the dongle, compile/install the new driver from source, and add some of the rtl-sdr utilities. That got the dongle working.

In Fedora 30 the CubicSDR package can be installed easily using dnf/yum, but that install does not come with the SoapSDR modules/libraries required. Those are installed separately, but also available via repo using dnf/yum.

CubicSDR, however, does not appear to be as intuitive as I thought. Rig control is fairly straightforward, but I'm having an issue mentally associating what I'm looking at when I tune the radio. I'm sure I'll figure it out, though. Unfortunately, most of the instructions on the web are normally more related to listening to FM radio, and less focused on HF Ham Radio.

KA2CZU likes this.
  8. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

sudo raspi-config, go into Advanced, then select A4. Force it to the output you want.

If this is a Raspberry Pi 4, you also need to go into /boot/config.txt and add hdmi_drive=2 to the bottom of that file. Be cautious, for here be dragons! Plotcher that file and your Pi won't boot.

One redeeming quality of the Pi is that RF wise, they are so incredibly quiet. I'd love to use Odroid N2s for my SDR projects, but I can't quiet them down. Which is terribly frustrating because they are so wonderfully fast and nicely built.

9. KA2CZU

wasn't sure if that was for me, but yeah, no.

I've tried all the obvious things with respect to raspi-config, right click the sound icon etc.

raspi-config A4 only presents the 3.5mm analog jack, and the HDMI options.

if I right click I see options for 2 different USB outputs as well as the paired bluetooth speaker. Tried all of them with no success.

10. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is one other catch to look at; CubicSDR is designed for Pulseaudio and the Pi base images default to Alsa.

I suspect Pulseaudio isn't running.