SDRPlay and Linux

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KC3SWL, Jul 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I never found binaries for Gqrx or Cubic that worked. It was a long process of getting all the dependencies built, but once I had them Cubic ran quite nicely.

And then I just decided to run KVM with PCI passthrough for a dedicated video card for a Windows 10 guest. I know when I'm beat.

K6CLS likes this.
  2. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well so far ,it seems to only be able to work on Ubuntu as I described. CentOS7 installation of SoapySDR and the SDRPlay API went ok.However CubicSDR has gl issues related to the graphics requirement of the window frame for lack of better words. GqRX is almost impossible to install,as it requires cmake3 to compile from source and CentOS only comes with cmake2. The Gqrx rpm from Nux repo was just about useless as it didn't talk to anything remotely resembling SDRPlay no matter what I did to try to make the SDRPlay visible to it.

You can install cmake3 but the compiler goes crazy with trying to sort out which compiler is to be used. Editing the cmake.txt file was a disaster as then the compiler found problems with the wording of the instructions for the compiler in the GqRX Cmake files. This may result in the complete reinstallation of CentOS as now it is difficult to get other programs to compile without various errors coming up that didn't appear before. I will say a lot of these files were found in various repo's so patching them together probably wasn't the best thing to do.
    Lucky for me I have 4 solid state drives to fool around with various operating systems so it's not a complete disaster.
    I'll probably load a different OS onto one of these drives and try my luck with a different distro but right now I have to admit I am sorta disappointed that for such a popular SDR radio the support is somewhat lacking on anything other than Ubuntu. I may reinstall CentOS and get to the point that SDR API and Soapy was installed then step back and try a step by step approach to get Gqrx to talk to the SDR if I can get it installed right.There has to be a solution, I just haven't fond it yet.

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

oh man, I sure understand that situationm been there, done that. But, I've started doing that funky install stuff in virtual machines, because it's easy to blow them away and start over fresh. and the host system is untouched.

4. KC3SWL

Well I got it figured out I think.
    First off CentOS 7 can't run cmake3 without blowing stuff up. It doesn't matter why anymore, it just won't differentiate between cmake2 and cmake3.
    Second, Fedora 30 which is NOT similiar to a CentOS stable version but rather a more progressive distro ahead of CentOS can and will install all the goodies.
    I will say this,it took the better part of a evening here to get this to work,
    First I would advise to just keep your favorite browser open to look up what errors you may find.
    Two, make sure all the development tools are available to make things a lot easier.
    After that, installing the API from SDRplay is important. I used the older version as the newer version is beta and may or may not work for you.
    After building the SoapySDR program ,by default it looks in the standard /usr/libs and and not where you may actually have them.As a result you won't ever find the SDRPlay that way.
    Performing this overlooked step was key...
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib64:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    SoapySDRUtil --info
    Once it was exported then SDRPlay was found.
    Using CubicSDR has issues, It can't find a libthai.so file which is already installed.
    GQRX will need both gnuradio-devel files and gr-osmosdr built from source to properly see the SDRPlay.
    So, that's it for today's lesson kids..... Hope someone gets this working too.
    [​IMG]

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

that's progress!

for now, can you run cubic and gqrx on another machine, using soapysdr in networked mode?

6. KC3SWL

No,only my box has Linux on it .XYL and kid's pc are Win 10 or Win 7 and I haven't had a chance to try that..
    I need to work out this libthai issue since I specifically installed it to meet the requirement listed in the error message. I thought it might be a dev package needed but didnt locate one.

7. KA8NCR

ldd <executable_path> | grep libthai will tell you where CubicSDR expects that library to reside.

8. KC3SWL

I tried that.... the executable binary sits in home dir and when I tried that command nothing happened. So I'm not sure if that will work in this case

9. KA8NCR

Nothing happened because there isn't binding to that dependency. That is why it can't find libthai.

10. KC3SWL

I know. I can only get the executable binary to try to load.... the installed version doesn't work at all just sits there . I had to run in terminal to find out it couldn't get the libthai location too.. I also found out Cubic SDR can't find the sdrplay in Windows as well. That's a issue all by itself as everything else sees it. I am just using Gqrx at the moment. at least it loads without issue in both Fedora 30 and Ubuntu ..I use SDRUno in Windows. I haven't had a chance to sit at the desk for hours sorting this mess out lately so just been using what I can get running .