ad: ARR

SDRPlay and Linux

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KC3SWL, Jul 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi
    I have the following set up
    SDRPlay RSP1A
    Ubuntu 18.04
    CentOS 7

I have got the SDRPlay to work on Windows 7 so not too bad there just a few issues integrating with HRD.
    On Linux however, I have lots of issues.
    I tried the tutorial found elsewhere regarding Ubuntu SDRPlay and CubicSDR setup. All I can say is it installed,SoapySDR can see the SDRPLay when using the probe command but CubicSDR has some GL errors and won't start. This is either by terminal or symlink to executable.
    Now the fun part is Gqrx can see it in the options and it works great in the generic binary but not in the actual Ubuntu install version.
    Is there anyone on here that has successfully got CubicSDR or Gqrx to work in installed versions on Ubuntu 18.04 using the SoapySDR and the SDRPlay1?
    I also am going to try the CentOS 7 install today when I get home so any help there would be appreciated. I am hoping I can find some sort of binaries to at least get a working example up and running.
    Thanks
    Chris

KK4NSF likes this.
  2. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep working at it and do let us know the results. I for one am interested in using one of my RSp2s on Linux but my software skills are less than ideal for Linux hacking, hi.

regards, Roy

3. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I could have purchased 4 RTL-SDRs for what I paid for the RSP1. The new v3 ones are 16 bit A/D and have excellent front ends, filters, preamps, etc. And flawless Linux support. Think raspberry pi.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

KF5RRF likes this.
  6. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not according to the data sheet:

"ADC: RTL2832U 8-bits"

They still are very useful and better supported on Linux than anything else but have no front end filtering.

Frank

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They do work very well. Frequency drift is minimal, Compared to others.

And the option of running a pre-amp attached at the base of a antenna is nice to overcome cable loss.

Very nice toy for $20 USD.

8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah..... I'm not happy with SDRplay's Linux support either. While the guys I talked to were helpful, the overall process of installation / troubleshooting / reinstallation took several days and was clunky. The radios are great. The Linux software is not-so-great.

9. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

RSP1A TCXO 0.5 ppm

RTL2832U TCXO 1.0 ppm

Ted, KX4OM

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah, so? have you noticed any practical difference?

my point was not that the RTL-SDR is perfect, just that it is good enough, is very low cost, and has excellent support in linux, BSD, Windows... they say Android and Mac but I have not tried those.

Anyways, much improved devices are available, if you want to spend the money. For example, www.linkrf.ch offers IQ+ for EME work. And an extremely low noise 32-bit A/D. A little pricey, yeah. But top quality. And yeah, out of box support in linux.