SDR vs Analog; what is your preference?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3AWS, Oct 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

My olde Kenmore TS-850SAT improved yuugely after I installed the much narrower AND sharper InRad roofing filter. :)

2. WA7PRC

Yeah. I envision a notch filter controlled by a finger gesture. Guess which finger? [​IMG]

KA2RRK likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If it's a Kenmore, it's from Sears.:)

The TS-850S was a really good rig, I still have one.

WA7PRC likes this.
  4. WA7PRC

That works, as long as it's on the rear... where your losing competitor can read it. :p:rolleyes:

WZ7U likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I actually like this one:

"IT'S PAID FOR."

WZ7U likes this.
  6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You've gotta love InRad... I put 2k8 and 2k1 filters into the 820. The unused 'display hold' switch was commandeered to select them. The steeper skirt shapes and better rejection were a noticeable improvement. That's one of my favorite things about analog. You can actually do something about it!

KA2RRK and WN1MB like this.
  7. WA7PRC

Yep. The OE vs InRad roofing filter response:
    [​IMG]
    During contests, a local fellow used to tear my receiver up (unless I reduced frontend gain a bunch) if I was on the same band. Now, I don't know he's on the air 'til I'm nearly tuned to his frequency. :)

8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Digital vs. Analog is a religious argument. There is no "wrong".

SDR's of today might be pushing the limits of today's silicon, but in 10-20 years the sampling rates, bit depth, computational power, etc., will have increased to the point where the abilities and signal quality/fidelity is orders of magnitude beyond what can be done in the analog domain. In filter design we already see this.

Obviously we wouldn't have things like 4096 QAM digital links achieving 15-30 bits/Hz in an analog domain... MIMO is magic...

KA2RRK, KA4DPO and KD8TUT like this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My point is, what does working more stations or not get you?

Bottom line is to use what you enjoy using. You aren't going to get richer, or live longer, or be healthier, or have any more spare time, because of using a radio that sorts out received signals better or has better sounding audio or lower THD or IMD or whatever.

I'm not sure that SDR has exceeded superhets (for receive, obviously) yet in such measures - in some areas but not others most likely - and even less so on transmit, but I'm sure if it hasn't, it will, and fairly soon. Doesn't matter - use what you enjoy using.

KA2RRK likes this.
  10. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I have my TT Pegasus. Everyone knows them. Played with vhf & HV/VHF dongles.
    Then I got a LimeSDR USB. Flippin' WOW !!! Software is tricky & the transmit is only fully supported by SDRAngel, as of now (For a full software suite).

USB 3.0 controller Cypress USB 3.0 CYUSB3014-BZXC
    Oscillator Rakon RPT7050A @30.72MHz
    Continuous frequency range 100 kHz3.8 GHz
    Bandwidth 61.44MHz
    Yeah, that's also MIMO. Can do any digi/digi voice mode, Radio Astronomy, 1/2/3/4G cell.... Yeah, pretty much anything.

Hacked an 857 chassis up for the PA board & driver. Variable step attenuators for RX &TX & a Udoo X86 Ultra to finish it off. It's all set up & mostly working (More interfacing for CAT compatibility). Going in an old Honeywell VX9 forklift computer enclosure & screen.
    Compared to my IC-7000, IC-7100, Swan 500CX, Icom 5/2/4-51 series, Grundig, Cobra 148 GTL & several others it has a much better receive. That's with the UDOO. On the T5500, there is just no comparison.

I also have a 2nd LimeSDR-USB. It will be hooked to 12 cores of Xeon 3.47Ghs, 2 high end graphics cards, 72 Gigs of RAM & 4 250G SSDs in RAID (4-1TB still on the MB). It's in a Dell T5500.
    The Lime, driver amps/filtering/limit amps HF to 440(Water cooled 1800W LDMOSs) in an Apple G5 aluminum enclosure, because, I think it'll all fit & will look nice.
    That project is next year.

The real fun part is making a private MIMO 4G network with a couple old Androids & many other interesting experiments. There is a LimeSDR USB on the Space Station.

Yeah, below about 7Mhz (With simple HF mod) loses TX/RX, but I just attenuate above that to get 0dbm for TX & the same for RX. They are 0-128(I think)db switchable attenuators, controlled by the Android section of the UDOO (Still working on it).

Ed