SDR vs Analog; what is your preference?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3AWS, Oct 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Several great new rigs came (coming) out this year. What is your preference and why?

If SDR, knobbed or "no" knobbed?

73 and have fun!

Jim N3AWS

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I like both, I prefer SDR's for high performance and amazing flexibility, and old style rigs for fun and ragchewing.

Knobs are always good, but using SDR apps is OK too... Kinda like the difference between driving a modern, fuel injected sports car - high performance, low maintenance; or a car from the 50's-60's - carbs, points, shocks, high maintenance, but a different kind of fun.

NY7Q, K3UJ, KD2ACO and 1 other person like this.
  3. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

GREAT ANSWER!

4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like real SDR's.

[​IMG]

5. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

In the amateur radio hobby, both can be fun to operate and enjoy. I have both but in the SDR radios, I probably only use about 50% of the features for my interests. I wonder what SSDR will bring.

6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like radios. I'm not nearly as enamored of computers that do the jobs of radios, just like I don't like computers that do the jobs we humans should also do for ourselves. Fun to play with sometimes, but what's even the point? It's like designing a computer that answers all philosophical questions and puts philosophers out of jobs. As the aliens who did it - well their philosophers anyway - asked in Hitchhiker's Guide, what's the point of staying up half the night arguing about whether there's a god if some computer just goes and gives you his bleedin' phone number? :D

I also have never driven a car with an automatic transmission that I actually enjoyed driving. No matter how powerful, how fast, how well it cornered, they just lack something.

N8VIL, KA4DPO and K7TRF like this.
  7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What the heck is SSDR?

8. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Analog because it is the oldest and the best!
    In 20yrs, perhaps SDR can beat it in every way.
    Synthetic anything is not the real thing.

KA2RRK

9. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got all types.

For me, there's nothing like a fat-pipe open source SDR for freedom, flexibility, and capability.

That being said- I'm one of those bit-heads. Computers are my profession and "other hobby".

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah! Me too. Fun to play with. Fantastic capabilities.

That said, I'd rather listen to an analog machine, for extended periods. Just nicer on my ears.

DSP noise cancellation sounds terrible to me. Yes DSP is not SDR.