ad: elecraft

SDR Receiver stops computer from shutting down

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by 2E0CIT, Aug 22, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Running a Dell XPS-8700 with Win 10 Pro.

My computer would not shut down, -the monitors went dark but the illuminated keyboard stayed on. I figured it was probably downloading updates or whatever but as this continued to happen I started investigating and found that when I disconnected one of my SDR receivers* the pc shut down as normal.

(I have plenty of other USB peripherals which don't have this effect)

I have set the USB management to not power-off when the computer is sleeping as it records TV from USB TV Tuner dongles when I'm not using it, but connecting this particular SDR stops the computer from shutting down when I tell it to!

Not a big-enough a problem to bother Chris, the SDR manufacturer, as this issue is probably of my making, but it would be interesting to find out why this happens.

Any ideas?
    73 Y'all, Jeff

*an excellent Cross Country Wireless SDR -4+ http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/sdr-4.htm

PS: I also get this popup which might be related to the problem :

upload_2021-8-22_15-6-24.png

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  2. NQ4T

NQ4T XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There have been cases where some USB hubs will prevent the PC from being able to shut down. This was a Vista issue but it may still exist in 10. I would imagine that thing has some sort of tuner front end that produces a baseband I/Q that is just sampled by an ADC. So there's likely a hub in the thing.

Check the USB power settings for all hubs.

AA5BK and 2E0CIT like this.