ad: Schulman-1

SDR Plus Plus for Android Lovers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VU3HZW, Mar 26, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. VU3HZW

VU3HZW Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally! We have a full-fledged native SDR for Android! ON5RYZ has announced its first public pre-release on Twitter a couple of days back. Initial, reports suggest support for all popular SDRs like RTL, HACKRF, LIME SDR & AIR SPY works beautifully without any major glitches.

• Multi VFO
    • Wide hardware support (both through SoapySDR and dedicated modules)
    • SIMD accelerated DSP
    • Cross-platform (Windows, Linux, OSX and BSD)
    • Full waterfall update when possible. Makes browsing signals easier and more pleasant
    • Modular design (easily write your own plugins)
    Full List of Compatible SDRs

• Airspy
    • Airspy HF+
    • HackRF
    • PlutoSDR (network only)
    • RFspace
    • RTL-SDR
    • RTL-TCP
    • SDR++ Server
    • SpyServer
    I'm happy to release the first PUBLIC pre-release of SDR++ for #Android! Please read the github post for a download link, supported hardware, etc.(currently natively supported are the @rtlsdrblog , the @airspy_com, the @GSGlabs #HackRF,@rfspace, and more!)https://t.co/KKJhBXfJd8 pic.twitter.com/MxpClYZP1u

— Whatsthegeek (@ryzerth) March 24, 2022

Why this is important?

No one has successfully written a complete wideband SDR for Android. WIth SDR Plus Plus (that's what ON5RYZ have named it) just stick your favourite SDR into your phone and enjoy!

ON5RYZ is a 20-year-old student in Applied Science and Engineering at the University of Liège.

Support: https://www.patreon.com/ryzerth

This is highly experimental built, don't blame us for bugs and issues.

Here's the link to Github: https://github.com/AlexandreRouma/SDRPlusPlus

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z2HPG8RQt8QXsznAq85oewb6TI1lKaL3/view?usp=sharing

Discussion: https://github.com/AlexandreRouma/SDRPlusPlus/discussions/703

TA2YZK, CN8TI, KB7THL and 14 others like this.
  2. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I not a part of the everything on your phone generation but could see using it on a tablet. Thanks, will start following the progress.

UT7UX, K0UO and CT3ON like this.
  3. W4THC

W4THC Ham Member QRZ Page

My phones are locked down with a google security key so will have to wait for it to hit the play store. I hope it does..

K3RW likes this.
  4. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great work! The ham community impresses me time and time again with all the talent and effort that go into hardware, software, events, programs, and innovations.

K0WWX, UT7UX, KA8UGB and 3 others like this.
  5. TI3IES

TI3IES Ham Member QRZ Page

Great, I just downloaded and installed it, I'll try it these days. On my smart phone I see the buttons a little big vertically but if the screen is rotated horizontally it is displayed very well.

6. KE8NFK

KE8NFK Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a nooelectic SDR with the "ham it up" HF converter, will this work for it? Trying to set up a cheap HF panadaptor for my phone...

CO8NMN likes this.
  7. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Umm..... SDRTouch has been available for maybe a decade already.

Works, and in the Google play store. I bought it with the key in...... 2012 or 2013.

Not sure it has all the libraries for all SDR radios, but it works great for me on a couple different ones.

Not to take anything away from this developer, but it's not a finally moment. There are others. And for the guy with a locked down phone, give SDRTouch a shot, see if it works for you.

Edit: I also use GLSDR for my network connected sdr. This gives me TX / rx capabilities.

--Shane
    WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI

AD4ZU and K9CDR like this.
  8. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Saquib @VU3HZW thank you for announcement.

I personally found average phone's screen to be too small for such kind of software. Bigger tablet could be fine. Anyway this is great when any new ham soft arrives.

MM7BVP and KE4RWS/SK2022 like this.
  9. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed, I hate smartphones with a passion already. I just read an article that they are seeing a trend of people dumping smartphones for regular dumb ones in large numbers. Of those they interview all that were question related an improvement in their lives and stress levels. Thing that stood out was they were the younger crowd. What goes around does come around it seems.

K2WH, W8KIC, KJ7OES and 3 others like this.
  10. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried it on a 7" Samsung tablet...useless in either screen orientation.

K6CLS likes this.
  11. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Surprised it doesn't work with the SRDPlay series. They are vert popular.

12. YO3GHM

YO3GHM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Everyone!
    I have an installation problem.I receive this message "Parse error. There was a problem parsing the package".
    I try to install this package in an old smart phone with Android 5.1 version, but i have the same error in Runbo Rfinder-K1 with Android 6.0.
    Is necessary to use a newer version of Android ? What version ?
    At the end i want to try this software using an HackRf One SDR.
    TNX. 73!

13. W5IUA

W5IUA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Android Boxes are cheap, have several purchased from Amazon for ~$50USD.

14. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you mean smth like TV-box? Yes, they're pretty inexpensive.

15. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

same here. cannot scale or scroll to read anything. terrible.