SDR Play DX and Yaesu Ftdx-3000 problems

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KD2TCK, Jan 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KD2TCK

KD2TCK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am having issues with my new sdr playdx. On some occasions when I key up the microphone to talk it stays in transmit mode and I have to shut off the power supply to my Yaesu.

I have tried their customer support e-mail which is a joke.

I am very disappointed in the companies lack of phone support, and they just send you a response via e-mail which may or may not help.

Anyone with any ideas would be appreciated

Mike Schmidt
    KD2TCk

2. AC2QH

AC2QH Ham Member QRZ Page

Try entering the letter T on the computer keyboard. On my SDR play and SDR Uno program the "T" toggles transmit on / off.

3. KD2TCK

thanks i will give it a try

4. KD2TCK

Still an issue. Also talked to OmniRig.

Help

5. AC2QH

AC2QH Ham Member QRZ Page

"T" toggling xmit on / off seems to work only when the cursor has been clicked on the SP or aux SP window. If I click, for example, on the desktop the T does not toggle xmit. Hanging in xmit happens once in a while both in CW and SSB and the T seems to clear it. BTW hanging in xmit has not happened since I upgraded to SDRUno v 1.33. But as with with all intermittent problems I can't be sure.

6. K1VW

K1VW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Something to consider if you don’t find a software solution... RF in the shack creating a problem. I had a similar experience with a different setup. I had my laptop connected to my IC-7100 via USB, similar to the FTDX3000. In WSJT-X I used the laptop touch-pad to click TUNE, and while transmitting the touchpad went numb. I couldn’t click to turn it off, I had to cycle power. That didn’t happen every time, but it happened twice in a few minute session so I stopped. Guess I better add a choke.

7. KD2TCK

This is another approach I have tried. Maybe I need to add a few more chokes, thanks for your idea

8. NB4R

NB4R Ham Member QRZ Page

How is your FTDX3000 and the RSPdx interconnected? Are you using an MFJ-1708B-SDR Are something similar to switch and isolate the RSPdx during transmit? I used a MFJ-1708B-SDR between my RSP1a and Yaesu FT1000mp. without issue. Plus, I was also using my AL80B and manual tuner in the mix. I tried to keep my SDRPlay radio as far as possible from the FT1000mp and amplifier. I used a shielded USB cable between my PC and RSP1a and a choke everywhere I could get one. As you stated you might need to look at your feedline setup to your antenna. Maybe this might at least give you a direction to go in. You also might ask on SDRPlay's Facebook page and also on an SDRPlay user forum at https://groups.io/g/SDRPlayUsers . This is a growing group of SDRPlay users helping each other. SDRPlay tech also visit quite often.

9. KD2TCK

I am unclear about isolating the RSPdx during transmit? I also will have to look for a better shielded cable for the PC connection. I have the RSPdx as far as possible away from everything.
    Thd SDR play tech come up with the same answer, look at my video and duplicate the settings. Tried everything with the settings.

Thanks for your assistance explaining the isolating, how would I do that

10. NB4R

NB4R Ham Member QRZ Page

The MFJ-1708B-SDR is basically a signal splitter. When not in transmit mode it's splitting thw signal between the transmitter and the RSPdx. When in transmit a relay grounds the input going into the RSPdx That is supposed to virtually eliminate any signal getting to the receiver from that direction. Plus , SDRuno ,if you are using that, also detects the transmit signal and further attenuates the signal 60db (per the SDRPlay user manual) TheMFJ-1708B-SDR detects the transmit signal in one of two ways. It has a special circuit that detects the actual signal or there is a relay that can be triggered by the radio. There are some other devices that can do the same thing, but I don't remember right now what brand they are. I do know whth the Chinese tarrifs the MFJ-1708B-SDR price has increased accordingly. Maybe someone else has an idea on those.

I've had great luck with the MFJ-1708B-SDR. There is another relay in the MFJ-1708B-SDR I use to trigger the amplifier. I only have difficulty with signal getting back through the receiver when I'm transmitting on 10 meters. Since I'm only active on 20, 40 and 80 meters, I haven't tried to work through that problem. I hope this hels a bit.