SDR Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KN4SLJ, Oct 25, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Try SDR-Console.

Ed

N2HUN and K2XT like this.
  2. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was just trying to provide a possible explanation for why he has all the spurs.
    My hdsdr is ok, if the if gain is not pushed up high.
    I use it for the recording feature, the ability to record 200 khz of the band at a time. Fantastic.

N2HUN likes this.
  3. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually in addition to the many inexpensive dongles out there I've also had a HackRFOne since it covers up to 6 Gigs. You can use SDR# software too. My favorite at the moment is the one attached. IMG_1049.JPG

K2XT likes this.
  4. KX4AZ

KX4AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I sing the praises of the cheap RTL-SDR v3 dongles - as many have already said here the key is avoiding overload from strong signals, most commonly AM/FM broadcast. I have several of them running as remote receivers, at three different locations. My favorite software for listening used to be HDSDR, but more recently I have come to appreciate the sheer power of SDR# and the assorted plugins that work with it.

For remote listening to the dongles I use the Spyserver program, which comes with the SDR# installation package...it's a hidden treasure. And what is incredible is the low upstream bandwidth needed for Spyserver to work. Except for broadcast (wideband) FM, even 0.5 megabits upstream is plenty to feed the SDR# program remotely, to sit there and watch the waterfall and select signals to listen too. I've had no problem decoding FT8/WSPR signals via the remote audio Spyserver sends from the dongles.

N2HUN likes this.
  5. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

KA9JLM and N2HUN like this.
  6. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SDR-Console will let you record 10 Mhz of the band at a time with an RSP1A. That's assuming, of course, that your PC is capable of handling data rates that high.

WA4SIX and N2HUN like this.
  7. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

An RTL-SDR can be used with the rtl_sdr command-line utility to record nearly 3 MHz of contiguous spectrum.

A Hermes Lite 2 SDR plus Spark SDR can allow one to skim 4 to 9 separate HF bands simultaneously (with custom FPGA gateware, and, again, assuming your computing equipment is powerful enough). The Hermes Lite 2 SDR might cost about twice as much as an SDRPlay RSPxx unit, but it's also a full QRP transceiver capable of being operated remotely over your network.

Simultaneous receiving on multiple bands may also be possible with certain Anan and Flex rigs, but at a significantly higher cost than either the SDRPlay or HL2 units.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

9. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

You can connect an RTL-SDR dongle directly to an Android phone using an OTG (on the go) cable.

RF Analyzer and SDRtouch will both work for receiving porpoises. Be aware that the dongle draws a fair bit of current so battery life can be an issue.

regards, Roy

10. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The RX-888 SDR receiver has a bandwidth of 32 MHz and SDR Console will record up to perhaps 28 MHz of that assuming you have a PC that can handle the load (one of the biggest issues is write speed to disk. You need a fast SSD to sustain the maximum rate.)