ad: TIDrad-1

SDR for CW only

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC6ETE, Oct 6, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC6ETE

KC6ETE Ham Member QRZ Page

Assuming all I ever want to do is CW (on-off keying), is there any benefit to using both I and Q outputs from an SDR? Is there a way to use I and Q that help the SNR or provide other benefits?

2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KC6ETE

4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KC6ETE

Ok, I see the uniqueness here. It's not exactly what I was looking for, but I will give it a try.

I'm really interested in how having quadrature could be used to find signals which are buried in noise.

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Transmitter? Receiver?

Use them for what? An SDR receiver needs both for inputs. An SDR transmitter sends both the DA for
    Are you designing /coding an SDR processor or decoding algorithm/module?

Otherwise this thread makes no sense. These are things that established SDR firmware does as part of basic functionality.

I/Q and Quadrature are simply the outputs of the AD, (analog to digital) first stage of an SDR device. They are merely two different ways of characterising the analog waveform from the antenna. They have no special properties themselves, and have no implication over how downline digital processing is performed or how well it detects RF signals.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021