ad: elecraft

SDR Control for iOS iPad

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K5YVY, Apr 18, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K5YVY

K5YVY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SDR Control for icom. Let's take a general look and thoughts about this new app. Using the IC-705.

Attached Files:

VK5OHR, W4EAE and WD4ELG like this.
  2. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I discovered this yesterday. I tried it with my IC-9700, and it works very well and looks great.

This has got me thinking that if I go out of town and don't bring along my IC-705, and I might leave it running at the QTH to have remote access to all the bands.

N4FYT likes this.
  3. KT7AZ

KT7AZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had the app for a couple of days now. Really enjoy it. I have also seen the bug where the app will not connect. I have found that by closing the app by Disconnecting and then dragging it off the screen then restarting it will work.

Couple of suggestions I have:

Be able to drag the TX and RX cursor on waterfall when in FT8/FT4. be nice to not have to switch back and forth to find an open TX spot.

Have the option for a waterfall in the FT8 Tool screen

Would be nice to be able to change the screen/Font size.

In waterfall screen to have the ability to change frequency when hovering over the VFO frequency with LT and RT arrows on a keyboard.

In FT8 a tune button that actually TX's an FT8 carrier

When switching back from USB-D have the microphone switch back to Ipad or other preset automatically.

Can we get a link to the QRZ.XML lookup as well.

I have a couple of WSPR beacons set up one for 15m and one for 30m. I usually monitor them on wsprnet.org. I see that the PSK-Reporter shows a few of the hits but not nearly as many as wsprnet.org. Would be very nice to have a link to wsprnet.org as well.

Having fun with it and have made a couple of contacts on FT8 already.
    Remember to set up the Lan Input gain in the IC-705 screen first for digital. Leave it be there, then go to Waterfall screen and adjust the Mic lever there for voice contacts on microphone.

I have been using an old set of the Apple earbuds with the 1/8 in connector on the Ipad and seems to work. Just remember if you are coming from Digital you will need to select the iPad mic.

Thanks for a great product with a lot of future potential as well.
    Gary

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    K5YVY likes this.
  4. K5YVY

K5YVY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gary, great points! I just got back home from a week work trip and I used the app to play radio while at the hotel almost every night, making voice contacts and plenty of FT8. Many of the points you listed would make it a little more enjoyable. 73

5. KA4WAY

KA4WAY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To All,
    I wanted to bring to your attention a string of emails between myself and Marcus/DL8MRE (HAM-Radio-App.com). I am not sure if ARRL endorses or recommends businesses or services but thought you may want to give this one another look if you do.
    I have been a HAM radio operator since 1978. I currently hold an EXTRA license. Even though I am an Extra and want to keep learning, I am “old school”, not very technical and struggle with new technology.
    I recently purchased the SDR Mobile App. I had purchased the SDR for Flex Radio more than a year ago, both from Marcus. One of the reasons I chose to purchase from him is because his app stated that he would provide technical support that I knew I would need.
    Needless to say, I was shocked at his first response to my request for assistance. It was rather condescending and rude. He clearly did not want to be bothered. The next email from him then asks if I am a “Trump voter”. WHAT????? What does that have to do with anything? Why would someone bring politics into HAM radio?
    As you can see from my emails to him, I am shocked!
    He then blocks any further emails from me including any requests for help.
    This is not the kind of businessman that I would want to be associated with. He is rude, insulting, condescending and very inappropriate. In my opinion, what he advertises, “technical support”, is false and nonexistent since he clearly does not want to help and does not have the patience or temperament to help someone who purchased HIS own product.
    I hope that I have not wasted too much of your time but I felt it important to share what happened to me as it has probably happened to others and no one should be treated like this - HAM or not, experienced or not, technical or not!
    In all of the years I have been involved with HAM, I’ve encountered nothing but kind and humble operators, always helpful and willing to share great experiences with total strangers, and that because of such a beautiful common interest, become lifelong friends!
    Thank you for your time.
    Vinnie
    KA4WAY

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Marcus / DL8MRE (HAM-Radio-Apps.com)" <support@creating-your-app.zendesk.com>
    Subject: [HAM-Radio-Apps.com] Re: Installing
    Date:
    January 18, 2024 at 4:37:42 AM EST
    To: "America's (Vinnie) Finest Bazain" <vincent@bazain.us>
    Reply-To: "HAM-Radio-Apps.com" <support+id8269@creating-your-app.zendesk.com>

Your request (8269) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

[​IMG]
    Marcus / DL8MRE (HAM-Radio-Apps.com)
    Jan 18, 2024, 10:37 GMT+1

I just sent you my honest answer to your request.

Your response sounds very strange to me but rather typical for some people.

Any HAM spirit? maybe not.

A Trump voter? maybe.

I like to encourage you now to request a refund from Apple as I will block any further mails and reject any further help request as you are impolite and your mails are not appropriate (just like my two previous sentences).

Bye

[​IMG]
    America's (Vinnie) Finest Bazain
    Jan 18, 2024, 10:28 GMT+1

Really ham radio operators!!! I am an Extra very poor response from you after I’ve paid !! And your own words contact for assistance!!!
    Very poor response after I’ve paid
    4Way. Caution. Enter at your own risk. "73"
    Vinnie
    KA4WAY
    Extra
    America’s Finest
    [​IMG]
    Jan 18, 2024, 10:03 GMT+1

You are welcome Vinnie.

I just wanted to ensure that you are not disappointed.

You can always get a refund so don’t worry if you already paid for the App and found it’s not for you.

In case of any questions, please let me know. I am always here for help.

Best 73s,

Marcus, DL8MRE

[​IMG]
    Jan 18, 2024, 09:56 GMT+1

Wow nice response!! When I already paid !
    Can’t believe that answer really nice!!
    Vinnie
    KA4WAY
    Extra
    America’s Finest
    [​IMG]
    Jan 18, 2024, 05:54 GMT+1

Hi Vinnie,

Thanks for writing but this App is for HAM Radio operators only. We have technical expertise and always seek for the next challenge. If that's not the case for you, better don't use my Apps as even after the installation you will need some technical knowledge and may otherwise face too many challenges with the App.

However, everything is explained in details and with illustrations including the Settings of the 7610 in the App manual which can be found inside the App. Maybe you have a look but if that sounds too complicated, again, better don't use the App and if you already did, you can request a refund during the first days after the purchase.

73, Marcus, DL8MRE

[​IMG]
    Jan 18, 2024, 05:45 GMT+1

Name Vinnie
    Email Vincent@bazain.us
    Subject Installing
    Message Hi do you have someone who can assist in the installation of the app? Or referral to someone who is technical for the installation for the Icom 7610? I’m not technically inclined
    Thank you
    Vinnie

Source roskosch.de
    [41N9W4-Z023W]

6. KN4SKF

KN4SKF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, for sharing. Will not even consider supporting. Ham crash course did a video on this app, it crashed a couple of times, he did not acknowledge, but seemed to gloss over the issue. The you tubers are loosing credibility with me.

QUOTE="KA4WAY, post: 6773436, member: 788169"]To All,

I wanted to bring to your attention a string of emails between myself and Marcus/DL8MRE (HAM-Radio-App.com). I am not sure if ARRL endorses or recommends businesses or services but thought you may want to give this one another look if you do.
    I have been a HAM radio operator since 1978. I currently hold an EXTRA license. Even though I am an Extra and want to keep learning, I am “old school”, not very technical and struggle with new technology.
    I recently purchased the SDR Mobile App. I had purchased the SDR for Flex Radio more than a year ago, both from Marcus. One of the reasons I chose to purchase from him is because his app stated that he would provide technical support that I knew I would need.
    Needless to say, I was shocked at his first response to my request for assistance. It was rather condescending and rude. He clearly did not want to be bothered. The next email from him then asks if I am a “Trump voter”. WHAT????? What does that have to do with anything? Why would someone bring politics into HAM radio?
    As you can see from my emails to him, I am shocked!
    He then blocks any further emails from me including any requests for help.
    This is not the kind of businessman that I would want to be associated with. He is rude, insulting, condescending and very inappropriate. In my opinion, what he advertises, “technical support”, is false and nonexistent since he clearly does not want to help and does not have the patience or temperament to help someone who purchased HIS own product.
    I hope that I have not wasted too much of your time but I felt it important to share what happened to me as it has probably happened to others and no one should be treated like this - HAM or not, experienced or not, technical or not!
    In all of the years I have been involved with HAM, I’ve encountered nothing but kind and humble operators, always helpful and willing to share great experiences with total strangers, and that because of such a beautiful common interest, become lifelong friends!
    Thank you for your time.
    Vinnie
    KA4WAY

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Marcus / DL8MRE (HAM-Radio-Apps.com)" <support@creating-your-app.zendesk.com>
    Subject: [HAM-Radio-Apps.com] Re: Installing
    Date:
    January 18, 2024 at 4:37:42 AM EST
    To: "America's (Vinnie) Finest Bazain" <vincent@bazain.us>
    Reply-To: "HAM-Radio-Apps.com" <support+id8269@creating-your-app.zendesk.com>

Your request (8269) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

[​IMG]
    Jan 18, 2024, 10:37 GMT+1

I just sent you my honest answer to your request.

Your response sounds very strange to me but rather typical for some people.

Any HAM spirit? maybe not.

A Trump voter? maybe.

I like to encourage you now to request a refund from Apple as I will block any further mails and reject any further help request as you are impolite and your mails are not appropriate (just like my two previous sentences).

Bye

[​IMG]
    Jan 18, 2024, 10:28 GMT+1

Really ham radio operators!!! I am an Extra very poor response from you after I’ve paid !! And your own words contact for assistance!!!
    Very poor response after I’ve paid
    Vinnie
    KA4WAY
    Extra
    America’s Finest
    [​IMG]
    Jan 18, 2024, 10:03 GMT+1

You are welcome Vinnie.

I just wanted to ensure that you are not disappointed.

You can always get a refund so don’t worry if you already paid for the App and found it’s not for you.

In case of any questions, please let me know. I am always here for help.

Best 73s,

Marcus, DL8MRE

[​IMG]
    Jan 18, 2024, 09:56 GMT+1

Wow nice response!! When I already paid !
    Can’t believe that answer really nice!!
    Vinnie
    KA4WAY
    Extra
    America’s Finest
    [​IMG]
    Jan 18, 2024, 05:54 GMT+1

Hi Vinnie,

Thanks for writing but this App is for HAM Radio operators only. We have technical expertise and always seek for the next challenge. If that's not the case for you, better don't use my Apps as even after the installation you will need some technical knowledge and may otherwise face too many challenges with the App.

However, everything is explained in details and with illustrations including the Settings of the 7610 in the App manual which can be found inside the App. Maybe you have a look but if that sounds too complicated, again, better don't use the App and if you already did, you can request a refund during the first days after the purchase.

73, Marcus, DL8MRE

[​IMG]
    Jan 18, 2024, 05:45 GMT+1

Name Vinnie
    Email Vincent@bazain.us
    Subject Installing
    Message Hi do you have someone who can assist in the installation of the app? Or referral to someone who is technical for the installation for the Icom 7610? I’m not technically inclined
    Thank you
    Vinnie

Source roskosch.de
    [41N9W4-Z023W][/QUOTE]

7. KA4WAY

KA4WAY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It will interesting to read future comments! None of us are born geniuses. Nothing more common than geniuses failing but together we can accomplish something especially in ham radio where technology constantly changes!!

Thank you 73

Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  8. KD6QFO

KD6QFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In an effort to balance the opposing views with SDR Control and its authors technical support, I need to comment. First off, I am not related to SDR Control, its author. I am simply a ham who tried the product and enjoy using it daily. I have the iPhone, iPad and Mac version. I have the IC-7610 and IC-9700, both on wired Ethernet. I had the IC-705 but the wireless on that radio was not great. I have found all editions of SDR Control for Icom reliable, mostly intuitive and I use daily.

As for support, I did need to ask the developer a few questions when I first got in to it. Some I was directed to the manual for solutions and others I got answers. No only questions but feedback on minor bugs and suggested improvements. I will say that Marcus's reply at times were short, succinct. They could easily be misinterpreted as unhelpful. I also found that the quick to offer refunds via apple unappealing. On the other side of the coin, the online manuals do cover most topics. I know I have to read some paragraphs twice to understand how to do some things. So, I pretty much read the manual when I have questions or a refresher on some features. In general, that is enough.

I would strongly suggest that someone who does not have good technical skills, not just radio, networking protocols, Mobile devices, etc. to think twice about buying the product unless your willing to do a lot of self learning or have a local HAM using the product help you. I would also suggest you have a solid, modern home Internet and Wi-Fi.

Once everything is up and running, I have found it almost flawless.

W4EAE likes this.
  9. N6YWU

N6YWU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to admit that I empathize with the developer of this Icom SDR app. There are too many clueless app purchasers.

I'm also an app developer. I develop iOS and macOS SDR apps for the RTL-SDR and Hermes Lite 2. I explicitly say in my app descriptions to only buy the app if one knows what they are doing (e.g. can already install and set up their own rtl_tcp server on a Raspberry Pi or Mac, etc., without my help). The price a customer pays for one of these apps would barely cover a few minutes of consulting time (if that) from a Silicon Valley app developer or DSP engineer. If answering a seemingly clueless question looks like it would take more time than that, the information on how to get a refund is clearly stated on the purchase receipt one receives from Apple. That allows me to instead spend more time on stuff more important to me: developing new apps, or playing with the shack cat, (... or even just reading random stuff here on qrz.com :) .

KD6QFO likes this.
  10. N2ZD

N2ZD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

douchebag-alert-button-2577.jpeg

Wow, those return emails from the developer caused my "douche alert" LED to light up!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024