Screen Protector for IC-7100

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Apr 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

My IC-7100 still has the original factory-installed sheet of flexible plastic film stuck to the display. I left it on because the screen itself is just plastic, and I wanted to avoid scratching it up.

That said, the little shipping protector is kind of ugly, and not very clear. I wonder if any of you have found a screen protector, possibly one for a cell phone or tablet, that you have working on your own IC-7100, or other touchscreen Icom radio?

I don't mind cutting one down to the right size if I find one that has good material, and agrees with the touchscreen.

Any ideas?

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Why does it need a screen protector? It's not like a phone - in your pocket with keys, getting dropped parking lots with gravel, etc.. The only think touching it should be your fingers, no? Does anyone use screen protectors on their rigs? Never heard of such a thing... but I could be mistaken!

KY5U likes this.
  3. KK5JY

It actually comes with one installed. :) It's really just for shipping, though.

And that's the problem. Any dirt that might get on the screen will scratch it when you touch it. And fingernails are great for scratching plastic. It's part of why gorilla glass is so popular.

When it's on your desk, you don't get a lot of dirt and debris (at least not in my house), but when mobile, it's a different story.

4. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

I apply a small sheet of cling wrap (used to wrap food) over my most often used buttons like the band registers, etc. Never had a touch screen radio. The wrap does come in clear.

Hope this helps.

Ed

KK5JY likes this.
  5. KK5JY

That's a very cool idea. I had never thought of using it for buttons, too.

6. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

When I had the IC-7100, I replaced the "OEM" plastic sheet with a screen protector from the Palm T|X (had a few left over from several years ago). Once cut to proper size and properly applied, it worked perfectly.

KK5JY likes this.
  7. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

I did the same thing with my FT-991. I use leftover screen protectors from my old Handspring Visor. I think you can still get them for GPS devices.

KK5JY likes this.
  8. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Get one for a larger cell phone or tablet, trim it to fit your 7100 screen. Bam! Done!

9. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KK5JY