ad: Retevis-1

Scientists explain magnetic pole's wanderings

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, May 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting read. Seems logical for a layman to assume that when you have a solid outer sphere with a liquid/plastic center ... and it spins around ... there would be some internal sloshing around. Bonus if that liquid/plastic is ferromagnetic, I guess? Over my head for sure, but sure is fun to read this stuff. :) First time I ever read about the need to re-number runways, though.

2. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob, as I recall from the old days there was a ham joke about the "Russian kilowatt" as some people there were allegedly running far more power than any legal limit, perhaps so the nation could claim more contest wins. Are you sure about the QRP levels being routinely used there? Perhaps someone else on this thread can answer that, though I sure made a lot of easy phone contacts on 20 with the old Soviet Union. As for the glaciers, climate change may be a more likely answer. Still, I will not discount that you may be right. There is an awful lot we don't know about this topic, as others have noted. Interestingly, Robert Heinlein's 1942 story Waldo (which gave the name to the remote "hands" used for moving dangerous and radioactive materials) postulated a future world where people were slowly getting weaker from constant exposure to broadcast microwave-like power.