ad: portazero-1

Schulman Auction: anyone buy from them?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5INC, Jul 12, 2018 at 4:17 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

My eye caught the Schulman auction banner that flashes over the top of the Zed web pages, for some of us. With their upcoming auction, they do look to have a few nice pieces up for grabs. Rigs that don't work properly, test equipment offered up and a few BA classics are in the mix for the next auction. A SR-2000 Hurricane, a Henry 5K classic and some hybrid rigs are a few of the offerings. Has any Zed Forum members bought anything in the past, from these folks? :)

2. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

think about shipping costs.

3. W5INC

When dealing with finite objects of today, sometimes you will have to bite the bullet on shipping costs, if you want the item. The SR-2000 Xmtr wasn't really that big in size, according to The Radio Museum. The Xmtr size is 16.5 x 7.4 x 15 inch which is rather a small footprint for a 2KW Xmtr. The PS was separate and had to weigh a few pounds by itself. You will need to add this cost factor in also, if you want the SR-2000 setup. This rig does have a dedicated group of enthusiasts who keep the SR-2000 mystique alive and well today.

The other 1KW plus offerings from the other radio manufactures, like the Johnson Desktop and the KWS-1, cost far more to ship. The Johnson Desktop is the heavy weight of the bunch and that is saying something, coming in right at 400 LBs, IIRC. For smaller test bench items like a 410B, the shipping costs shouldn't be too bad. The shipping costs sure have changed in the last year. The big shippers, Walmart, Amazon paying little to have their products shipped and the 1 time users, are taking the actual shipping costs, in the shorts for the most part.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no experience with them and didn't even know about them until now. (Guess I don't see the "ads" at all.)

Anyway the owner seems to be WD0ERU, so possibly it would pay to contact him directly and ask any questions.

5. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I was led to their site earlier this year by a couple of ops from the KC area that I know. Based on their testimonials I wouldn't have any qualms bidding on an item in their auctions. I've not done so as I really don't have space for much stuff.

W5INC likes this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Roadtrip!

AD5HR likes this.
  7. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have. I purchased a Hallicrafters s-85 from them - I got a very good deal on the radio. I called their shipping company before I bid and got a quote for the shipping. I was good with that amount so bid, and one. I already have several items on my watch list for the upcoming auction.

8. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys already know this, but apart from packing and shipping costs, be sure to factor in any sales commissions that an auction house may be charging.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned that watching Mecum Auto Auctions. Those numbers can get really big really quick.

10. W5INC

10% buyers fee. :)