School Science Fair Project. Help Wanted!

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KI5JMD, Nov 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

JAKE FROM STATE FARM,

GOOD JOB ON YOUR QRZ PAGE.

You are a member of the Acadian Amateur Radio Association.

THOSE FOLKS SHOULD BE ABLE TO POINT YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

CLUB FOR JAKE.jpg

73 AND ENJOY YOUR PROJECT.

K1LKP

2. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Orthodromy, loxodromy.

KC5AKB likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Believe it or not, my 6th grade science fair project was a demonstration of how the tar in cigarettes clogs the structures in a smoker's lungs....

I had a pair of large plastic bottles filled with polyfill material mounted on a wooden frame to represent lungs - there was a hose from each lung and a Tee connection and clear hose that ran up to a face. Behind the face was a pair of small hand bellows - one pulled in for "inhale" the other pulled out for "exhale". I would stick a cigarette in the "mouth" and light it, then work the bellows sequentially to draw the smoke into the "lungs" then blow it out to show people how the polyfill would become black and gooey in minutes... every half hour I'd open the bottles and install fresh polyfill material and throw away the black gooey fill. I went through more than one entire pack of cigarettes - I ended up with 3rd place!!!

All fine and well except I was eleven years old, sitting alone at a table with two packs of cigarettes, lighting them one after another over the course of the two hour fair as people walked by to read my signs and documentation - all being held in the school library :eek::eek::eek:

But things were a lot different in 1972.... the Teacher's Smoking Lounge was the very next door down the hall :)

Dave
    W7UUU

AH7I, K9DWB, KU4X and 1 other person like this.
  4. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

...HV capacitors building and due testings...

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Mechanical vs electrical resonance.

PU2OZT and KN4LGM like this.
  6. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Velocity of RF in different types of coaxial cable.

The effects of heat on the resonant frequency of a LC oscillator -- change in value of inductance & change in value of capacitor.

7. K9DWB

K9DWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm, this sounds very much like life.

W0IS likes this.
  8. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

W0IS: Your blog brings back the "good ol' days" in the '50s. I recall several library books that had plans for crystal receivers; one tube receivers; audio amplifiers; even a carbon microphone.

Most of the circuits were "breadboard" using clips for connections. A soldering iron was needed for variable caps, pots and sockets. B+ was from a 45 or 67.5 volt zinc-carbon battery.

9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! We try to cover all good ol' days from about 1920 to 1970.

10. KN4LGM

KN4LGM Ham Member QRZ Page