ad: Alphaant-1

School Science Fair Project. Help Wanted!

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KI5JMD, Nov 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI5JMD

KI5JMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey everyone,
    My school is sponsoring a science fair and I wanted to introduce ham radio into the competition. If anyone can add any ideas to the ones I have listed below it’d be greatly appreciated!
    My ideas so far:
    Test communication range with different types of antennas
    Home brew a QRP transceiver and test it with different antennas
    If anyone could also point me in the right direction of ordering antenna building supplies and electronic supplies that would be also great! THANKS 73

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not real "science"

permutations in HAMSAT orbit time not attributable to precession? (STEM)

Measurement of Doppler effect variances owing to orbital inclination

Measurement of Doppler effect differences in each band on up/down links using the ISS cross-band repeater.

Part of doing YOUR project is that you learn from doing your own research.

as for your posited path - why not use the RBN to track propagation over time from a fixed location on two different ands - say 80 and 20 M? Then tie that back to the Kp index or other solar measurement?

Best of luck.

KU4X, VE3CGA and W7UUU like this.
  3. KI5JMD

KI5JMD Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s a good point, thanks for the ideas!!

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's some pretty astute advice there, Teacher!

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I gave up the University life owing to the insane politics. Taught at other post-secondary venues until I got tired of the "I want (not earn) an A" crowd.

So now, just write....mostly. When it doesn't interrupt my nap time.

My two brothers were able to stand the (bad words here) long enough o get their PhDs. Now I just help write their research grant requests....

I garnered quite the $$$ in grants for a couple of local Jr Hi (Middle schools) focused on ham radio as it = STEM.

Ham radio (STEM) is normally a slam-dunk @ these fairs. Given the very low level of "true science" seen, it isn't hard to shine, at least locally.

W7UUU likes this.
  6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When my daughter did a science fair project in third grade, she tried to answer the question, "If grass turns brown when it dies, why do grass stains seem to stay green on your clothes forever?"

She had some ideas. Maybe it was sunlight that degraded the chlorophyll in dead grass. Maybe the stain is somehow fixed in the laundry process.

She put some grass stains on cotton rags, and took pictures. She kept one indoors in the dark, one outside in the yard, and ran one through the laundry. She also pulled up some grass, and left a sprig outside in the sun while keeping another piece indoors.

It's the sunlight that turns grass brown, and sunlight will bleach grass stains off of cloth in a couple of days, too.

She got a ribbon at the county science fair for that, and she didn't have a fancy presentation, not even a very neat one. What she did have, which most lacked, was an actual controlled experiment that answered a question that she didn't know the answer to in advance.

It's hard to think of questions that haven't been researched yet, but are within easy reach of a science fair participant. Here are a couple of ideas:

Is there any statistically significant relationship between earthquakes and radio propagation? (pskreporter and USGS can help with data gathering).

How do clouds affect VHF propagation?

What inexpensive materials can make a good radome to protect an antenna? Consider loss as well as coupling with/detuning antenna elements.

N8YQM and KL7KN like this.
  7. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

my oldest did a gr8 science project where he logged stations on 80M and 20M over a few days and evenings, recorded their distances and signal strengths
    then plotted a graph demonstrating the ionosphere and how different frequencies bounce off it to give different distances. Also how time of day or night changes distances. I think we limited the signal strength within a certain range which was a small attempt to filter out qrp and 2KW with a huge antenna.
    Once I showed him what was going on with the signals, using some drawings from the handbook and the old globe and string, he really caught on and eagerly logged & charted stations while scanning across the bands.
    He wasnt doing well in school and in a later meeting the teacher told me she was suprised at how well he demonstrated this.

Most folks havent heard of HF radio or the ionosphere
    We took videos of him tuning my TS520s, looking up callsigns and using a string, globe and a ruler to figure out distance
    and he easily could demonstrate the process.

8. KC5AKB

KC5AKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool and a great way to learn about the earth and maps.