ad: Alphaant-1

Schematic for tls 2M amp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KM4BDH, Jan 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM4BDH

KM4BDH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an old TLC Battery-saver 100W 2M FM linear Amp and I am in need of a Schematic.I believe the output transistors are install backwards but would love to verify. The fuse was bypassed a couple of resistors are burned. I cant read the values. any help is appreciated.

2. KM4BDH

TPL * not tls . Not sure where that came from.

I can't find any good contact information for this company or phone numbers. I would love to bring this back to life.

3. KM4BDH

Here is a pix of the model number and of the burnt resistors.

2M amp.jpg 2M amp.jpg

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, I had this.

The model number of the amplifier is PA3-1 (followed by two letters) not PAB100-3; the latter number is the number for the circuit board only, not the amplifier. If yours has a driver stage, it would be a PA3-1DE or PA3-1AE. The PA3-1FE did not have a driver stage.

The three transistors are all bipolar 2N6084 types, and R1, R2 and R3 are all 10 Ohm, 1/2-W carbon resistors although 1W is probably a better choice.

The only way to tell the tab connections on a 2N6084 is to find the one tab that has a 45 degree "cut" at the end of the tab: That's the collector. 180 degrees opposite that is the base; the two remaining tabs which are 180 degrees apart are both emitters. You can't go by the writing on the ceramic package, as they can be labeled all different ways: Have to find the "cut" tab to identify what they all are.

These are all "Class C" amplifiers for FM use only; they cannot be used as linear amplifiers for other modes.

Schematic is here:

TPL VHF amp schematic.PNG

AH7I likes this.
  5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

TPL amplifiers were designed by Thomas P. Liddy and the original company had the name using his initials. After selling the company, he moved to the Dallas, Texas, area where he formed another company manufacturing amplifiers for the commercial two-way radio market. That company was not around very long. I am trying to remember. However, somewhere in my mind, I think Liddy died and the company folded.

I used to have one, maybe two, of the new company's amplifiers around and there might be one in storage around the house.

Glen, K9STH

6. KM4BDH

thank you very much i believe this will help get this back on the air.

7. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a pdf owners manual of the PA3 series, I can email it to you if you want a copy. It's got the schematic and I think a parts list in it.

8. KM4BDH

sure. Email Address:
    rchilso@hotmail.com

9. K4JDA

K4JDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page