SCAMMMER USING W7KVT

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K4DVW, Jul 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K4DVW

K4DVW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Posted WTB ad for ICOM IC-910h radio and some guy with hijacked pictures from previous QRZ ad using call sign W7KVT tried to sell me one. We almost got enough to catch him, but he bailed out at last minute. Watch out for anyone that you can't confirm.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice catch.

I have some bigger hooks if you need some. ;)

3. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use a full featured client like Outlook and Thunderbird, perhaps you can view the full SMTP header details; and we can see the IP address of the person who emailed you.

4. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yahoo and gmail webmail will also show email headers.

KB3VWG likes this.
  5. N7HD

N7HD Ham Member QRZ Page

How did your post stay up? I posted one today and it was removed as the moderator said that posting a WTB for over $250. was against the rules?

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

You probably won't be able to see the sender's IP address. You'll only see that if the scammer is using a typical SMTP client which is unlikely these days.

He is probably using Gmail, Yahoo or Outlook.com to send and none of them disclose the sender's IP address. The first step in the SMTP trail is just a Gmail, Yahoo or Microsoft address.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is true.

Better chances of getting the machine IP, Is to lure them to this website.

Even that is not 100% , But a tracer is available. :)

Anything posted on a Win 10 machine should be easy to track. o_O