Scamming K9BOJ

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K9BOJ, Sep 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N4RJ

N4RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple of days ago I received an unsolicited email from a person posing as AG4GL. He was notifying me of a K3 with P3 at a riciculously low price and after saking what the Serial number and options were, sent a fully loaded recent model description. Next I googled the call sign and scam. I found this site and message group.
    I believe AG4GL is not the originator and that this person is scamming and has assumed the ID of AG4GL. His email address he uses was : jerzyag4gl@gmail.com . This would lead someone to think it is valid since it contains the name and call of ag4gl.
    Believing something fishy was transpiring I inquired if he knew someone down here in Ga with the same last name. and how did he know I was looking for a P3.
    He replied: "No in not related to Alicia kowalczyk, and in saw your post on qrz forum looking for a p3—f panadapter" in poor grammar. This increased my suspicion .

Then I asked if PayPal OK? He Replied: "My Paypal address nunnu@nunnuk.com"

Next, I said my wife would not let me spend the full $2100 for the K3 and P3 and all I have in my Paypal account is about $1900 and that I had just gotten out of hospital and did not have much money left from a brain operation. He replied "Hi Val, I really understand how things are at the moment for you I will accept $1945 it’s a deal for me thanks for the offer my friend."

If I did send this guy any money I would obviously need a Brain Transplant after this scenario.

I hope this helps someone else.

SOMEONE NEEDS TO ADVISE AG4GL SOMEONE IS USING HIS INFORMATION.
    Val
    N4RJ

2. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

AG4GL is active on QRZ and one of his posts has his contact info. I suggest you call him and explain what's going on. He doesn't have a published email address which is a huge mistake. He needs to fix that and put a disclaimer in his bio.

3. K7IU

K7IU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

no, its not an 857d. this is another radio. I have asked him to take a picture of the radio with a recent newspaper and a copy of his ham license in the photo. I am waiting to see what happens next.

4. K7IU

I am considering calling the local police to see if they are interested in investigating it.

KA2FIR likes this.
  5. K7IU

I wonder if we should try and contact the arrl or a local ham club in virginia, and ask them to get in touch with ag4gl.?

6. KA2FIR

PM him right here on QRZ. He’s active as on 8/30 and has recently posted.

7. K7IU

Finally,
    Well, as expected, once I asked for more pictures of the radio to include their ham license and a recent newspaper guess what?
    The radio suddenly was no longer available!
    Meanwhile as a tip to everyone, my XYL turned me on to doing a google image search. So when I did that using the picture of the radio, I discovered it was originally posted in the UK!
    I highly recommend that hams use the google image search since when you couple that with the fact that QRZ requires a photo, the only hit you should get is for it to be found on the qrz site.
    Anything else should be a red flag.

8. KA2FIR

N4RJ de KA2FIR HW?

9. KA2FIR

10. KB7AK

KB7AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He sent me an offer for an Icom transceiver, using the same method as everyone else here describes.