ad: BKQSL-1

Scammers at it again - someone purported to be WB0OAF

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WB5Q, Oct 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WB5Q

WB5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Got an email from someone purported to be WB0OAF, in response to the ad running on my IC-756ProIII, of course this is not him by any means...
    Dead giveaway, stupid question, “how much is split shipping?”. These clowns never learn and just keep coming back for more...

Wonder if I should screw with him, just to see what he will do, might be fun....hummm.

73de wb5q

2. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

What email address did they use? Your ad is on qth.com. Inform the op of qth.com and post to their scammer forum.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why does every stupid question automatically mean that there is a scam going on?

KS4W, W7UUU and KA2FIR like this.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know what that is, had to look it up. :confused:

KA2FIR likes this.
  5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's an excerpt from your QTH ad. Emphasis is mine.
    "I am offering my Very nice 756 Pro III for sale. . . . Offering this Pro III for $1200.00 and I will split shipping.
    Listing #1457959 - Submitted on 09/24/19 by Callsign WB5Q . . ."

Why is “how much is split shipping?” a stupid question? He obviously only wanted to know how much the shipping would be.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    KJ4VTH, ND6M, NZ4X and 2 others like this.
  6. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

@WB0OAF does have his email address listed on the bottom of his profile page. I guess you could compare email addresses. Better yet just email him and ask. It does seem like a valid question to ask about the shipping charges.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  7. VK2LEE

VK2LEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have asked how much for the shipping too... 50-50 is split.... Lee

KA2FIR likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in the old days that was very common. Each party in the transaction pays half.

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

There is another use of the term "split shipping".

If you order multiple items from say Amazon... you can opt to wait until all items are available to be placed into one package; OR opt for 'split shipping' where the items will be shipped separately. (usually costs more for the latter option).

But this appears to be a different case, just wanted to make the distinction between different uses of the same term.

This seller clearly said he would 'split shipping' with the buyer, and the buyer simply asked how much he would have to pay.

How is that 'stupid'?

KA2FIR likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think its stupid or unreasonable. Someone else owns that statement.