Scammers are out there. Beware!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by K7WXK, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K7WXK

K7WXK Subscriber QRZ Page

I posted a want ad in early May for a Mosley Mini 32 triband beam. Shortly after posting I got an email from the UK from a Steve Jordan offering exactly what I needed. However, his grammar and syntax were atrocious (not consistent from a man named Steve Jordan). It was obvious to me that he had hyjacked a name from QRZ.com and was fishing for a sucker. I passed on his offer for obvious reasons.

This morning another email from the UK arrived only this one used much better grammar. I chose to pass on this one as well.

I find it rather co-incidental that the only responses to my want ad come from the UK. While I can't prove that they were fraudulent offers, I do know that many of the Nigerian Scam emails have UK addys.

Be suspicious, use your head, and if it looks too good to be true it probably is.

Marc

2. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, and a there are a lot of Nigerians living in the UK, Nigeria being a former British colony.

FWIW, anyone, anywhere in the world can get a FREE "Yahoo.co.uk" email addy,
    and I am sure there are other similar offers out there.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  3. VE3EGA

VE3EGA Ham Member QRZ Page

GMAIL ADDRESSES

I would also be wary of GMAIL email addresses, particularly from the UK!

If in doubt, If you ask a technical question that a only ham would know the answer too it may help you decide!

4. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. That's because it's difficult, but NOT impossible, do do an accurate location IP Address Search
    on a Gmail Address. (Without it coming back as GMails "Mt. View, CA, USA".
    But it can be done. You need the complete email header from the guy, "ReadNotify" software,
    then ping him a message he will respond to.
    I asked one of these lads if the LPF deck he was selling (That I has posted a "wanted" advert for)
    was the model with the Heisenberg Demodulator.....he said yes, it was! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.