ad: cq2k-1

Scammers appear to be using AF4WH and KG5TSC callsigns

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N4QWK, Aug 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. N4QWK

N4QWK Subscriber QRZ Page

Within minutes of showing interest in a Kenwood TH-F6 for sale, I had two people who apparently are trying to scam me. Both offered the same unit at a lower price, and one even sent several pics. The problem with the pics was that it included another person's call on the display. I am not familar with the Kenwood's operation, so this call could be on the radio for some other reason, but it all seems questionable:
    [​IMG]
    I asked both of them to send me new pics with their QSL card in them. One person did not respond, and the other said that he would send the pics, but reminded me "Although as per QRZ rules we are not compiled to add callsign for sales less than $250." I await his response. One common item I noticed was that both AF4WH and KG5TSC did not have valid e-mail addresses on their QRZ page.

Attached Files:

2. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Staff Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Due to having his account hacked, the AF4WH call is closed meaning he cannot post to QRZ nor can he post PM's. The KG5TSC account is just fine. He has chosen not to post public e-mail.

K6JPA likes this.
  3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Dave,
    Just happened upon this today, maybe someone can give him the answer. looks like a scam to me.

help1.jpg

K6JPA likes this.
  4. N4QWK

I just received an e-mail from AF4WH including a pic w/o a call sign. Radio, charger, extra batteries, and an earpiece for $135. What a great deal!

5. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Staff Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

At this stage of the game, simply ignore the e-mail would be my advice.

K6JPA likes this.
  6. K6JPA

K6JPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Contacted by the phony AF4WH yesterday trying to sell me an Icom filter I had placed a wanted ad for. Had a gmail account similar to the call sign, and the wanted payment through paypal. Keep clear if contacted by the individual.

7. N4QWK

I sent an e-mail to PayPal about AF4WH, but just received a form letter. I guess they would rather pay out than take the time to check out scammers.

8. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you know when an account is hacked or not? If the scammer is able to place ads using a callsign doesn't that mean that account has been hacked?

9. KF4TOH

KF4TOH Ham Member QRZ Page

yes its a scam/hack I posted a ad for a Nye Viking meter and af4wh.c@gmail responded
    with one and send a bogus picture of a Nye Viking meter that sold on eham about a year ago
    paypal warned me that the account was hacked , I played with them dragging it out .
    after they couldn't get paypal to play he wanted a MO sent to someone in AL
    I got tried of playing and blocked him

tried to reach the real AF4WH but could not