Scammer Using KI7JCW@gmail.com

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WA5NTF, Nov 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA5NTF

WA5NTF Ham Member QRZ Page

I placed a wanted ad for an MFJ-935B loop tuner and received the response below from this scammer. The email thread as I tested him to verify he was a scammer is pasted in below. It is quiet funny as he tells me the parts and upgrades I need are on his unit. The first red flag was an email without a name after the 73 at the end of the message. If you place a want ad on any of the ham classified sites you most likely will receive responses from scammers. The good news is that I also received a legit response from a very nice ham from Washington state and had a great phone conversation with him to complete the deal.
    Larry WA5NTF

PS: Read the emails from the bottom up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In a message dated 11/5/2017 7:28:38 A.M. Central Standard Time, ki7jcw@gmail.com writes:

Yes Larry the flux capacitor is the upgraded version.

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 at 2:12 PM <ldstandlee@aol.com> wrote:

Hi Peter,
    That's great! Just one other question. Does it have the upgraded version of the flux capacitor? If it has that I want it for sure.
    Thanks!
    Larry

On Sunday, November 5, 2017 Peter H Quach <ki7jcw@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Larry,
    Yes comes with the plate meter and digital load control .
    Thanks & 73

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 at 4:40 AM <LDStandlee@aol.com> wrote:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response. Does yours have the plate meter and the digital load control?
    Please let me know if yours has those options.
    Thank you!
    Larry

In a message dated 11/4/2017 1:45:17 A.M. Central Daylight Time, ki7jcw@gmail.com writes:

I have for sale mfj 935b loop tuner in a perfect working condition. Comes with manual , shipping box . Asking $155 shipped. Let me know if you are interested.

N1VAU and KC0BIN like this.
  2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is interesting is that, the real KI7JCW has been posting to this forum taking the time to say that it is not him that is the scammer.

But he has not yet added a "Warning message" to his bio page. At least three of us now have told him to add the info to your bio page. Doing that simple thing will probably stop the scam with his call sign.

Examples :
    https://www.qrz.com/db/wb1ke
    https://www.qrz.com/db/W8BUX
    https://www.qrz.com/db/W6MJS

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    WR2E and WA5NTF like this.
  3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

"Yes Larry the flux capacitor is the upgraded version." That would be the 1.21 gWe version, and you didn't buy it? Do you know how rare they are? Sheesh!

WB0MPB, KJ4VTH, WA5NTF and 1 other person like this.
  4. WA5NTF

WA5NTF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the responses!

N6QIC: I have seen a couple of times over the years where the scammer has some how taken control of the QRZ page. Don't know if that is the case here, but could explain why he hasn't updated his page. Of course that rasises another question if he is on QRZ posting messages then one would think he must still have access to log in. It would sure help if he would update his page as the others you listed have!

AJ4GQ: That would definitely be the 1.21 g version! I will forever regret not buying it!

Larry
    WA5NTF

N6QIC and AJ4GQ like this.
  5. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Larry, you should have bought the tuner ... AND PAID CASH FOR IT WITH HELL MONEY.

About a year ago, I bought a pretty good supply for about $1.75 at an oriental store. Seems the Chinese use it in their annual ancestor worship ceremony.

Anybody with an unconventional sense of humor could come up with other uses, like handing some to a less than desirable character & telling them to "GO SPEND IT"!

Jerry
    N9LCD

WA5NTF likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With the plate meter, digital load control and the flux capacitor it would have been a pretty good deal!

Thanks, that was hilarious.

WA5NTF likes this.
  7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Peter only signed in here after a member snail mailed him a letter. (I forget who it was but it was nice of him to take his time to do that)

Peter said that he's never been on the air and that he only got his license for some sort of credit for a school course.

He posted his not selling anything in a couple threads and promptly disappeared again. He didn't see the posts asking him to put something to that effect on his bio page. He probably won't either... Gone like the wind.

WA5NTF and N6QIC like this.
  8. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your Welcome Larry,

Very true I have thought that same thing. But I don't think the account for KI7JCW was hacked. In this and other forums QRZ tracks/has a record of the IP addresses of the computers posting the messages.

I would think that it would be easy for HQ Staff to compare the IP addresses of the scammer and KI7JCW to se if they are the same address.

WA5NTF likes this.
  9. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Staff Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The account has NOT been hacked. It is clean on QRZ.com. IP and other such tracking tools verify this. This is an e-mail scam only over which QRZ has no control. Be vigilant out there!

WA5NTF and N6QIC like this.
  10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, is it hypothetically possible for 'management' to post something on his page since he's admittedly inactive and not likely to return and do it himself?

It would help a lot I think.

KJ4VTH and WA5NTF like this.